Stripping old paint/ cleaning it up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathTaco

Reaction score
Project is an old 14'' aluminum. We want to strip the old paint off so we can re-paint it and make it easier to find leaks and TIG weld them. We were wondering if we could use just a belt sander and a couple of orbital sanders to get the job done? Or if it is necessary to use paint stripper, as well?

I would recommend a grinder with a wire wheel. It will make much quicker work of it than a sander. I used an orbital sander on my first build and the grinder on the most recent build. Definitely liked the grinder better. I use a 4 1/2 inch grinder with a braided wire wheel. The braid made a huge difference. Much quicker. wheel.jpg

Try whatever you have on hand and see how it does. That may dictate what you decide to complete the project with. When you get a chance, put what part of the world you live in under your profile. You may have a fellow tin-boater near you who could help.

i would also suggest the wire wheel grinder.. u can buy them cheap at harbor freight i hope i spelled it right .. anyways they are 3.99 a piece and u just need 2 of them . they work great ..anyways good luck

Latest posts