What wood should i choose?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mErcMaN1o9

Reaction score
Im starting a project tomorrow on a lonestar v bottom. I was wondering what wood i should use for the flooring? i need to know a support size like 2X4 for the support and on top of that what size plywood? Also what type of wood should i get that wont rot because it will be getting wet?

Thanks, Zach

I used a combination of 2x2s and 2x4s. I bought 2x4s and ripped them down to 2x2s. As far as plywood, I used 19/32 (3/4) standard plywood. I coated mine with thompsons water seal, but if I did it again, i would wrap the wood in fiberglass to permantly seal it. I dont think it is a good idea to use treated plywood cause of a chemical reaction with the aluminum. I just do my best to keep my boat as dry as possible and after each use I open all lids to let it air/dry out. As long as the wood can dry it will last longer. If the moisture is trapped and the wood stays wet, then you it will rot faster.

I used all 2x2's for my floor, i put them 12" on center and legged them 12" oc to my ribs, I used 1/2 plywood thomson water sealed, IMO, i would not fiberglass it, If the moisture ever does get in, it will never get back out. and for the cost of fiberglass resin, about 40.00 a gallon if not bought in bulk, By the time it rots ill replace the wood and the carpeting.. I chose 1/2 to cut down the weight, i didnt use anything pressure treated, because of cost, Some say it screws with the alum as well. If your gonna store it outdoors, It may be best to use alum sheet...

Bugpac brings up a very good point I didnt think about. Considering the cost of fiberglass, I'm not sure if I will ever go that route.

Fiberglass resin actually absorbs moisture as well, That is why the put gelcoat on it to... :) If i were to glass it, I believe i would only glass the top surface, and the edges, id definitely leave the bottom side open..

Latest posts