Looking to do a conversion - will this boat work????????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutman3000

Reaction score
Im am very excited about starting my first project boat. I have been reading a lot and trying to digest everything that I have learned. I found a boat near my home for a decent price.

My goals of this conversion are as follows:

Nice boat that fishes easily. Adding decking and carpet for two fishing platforms and potentially a deck in the middle for lounging for my wife.

It has to go in the back of my 2007 Tacoma, i dont have a place to store a trailor so I will need to put the boat in the backyard with a cover on it. So weight is a big issue here.

Here is the boat I am looking at. It is in real good shape and has no leaks or anything. It does look like it will be real heavy, especially after adding the decking and the other stuff.

The measurements are 12' long 44" wide at widest spot and 21" tall on the sides.

Is this something I should consider? If not what should I be looking at?

Attachments

• Boat Front.jpg
    Boat Front.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 504
  • boat rear.jpg
    boat rear.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 504
I think after adding decks and acc. it will be heavy enough you won't want to lift it. I would just add a few things to make more fishable and leave the decks until I could get a trailer.

Truckmechanic said:
I think after adding decks and acc. it will be heavy enough you won't want to lift it. I would just add a few things to make more fishable and leave the decks until I could get a trailer.
I'm going to second this opinion.

The decking is certainly going to add weight, no matter your choice of material (wood or aluminum). The boat actually looks pretty solid as is, so I think you should just add the "essentials" until you have the room/money for a trailer.

What modifications would you guys reccomend at this time prior to the trailor? What could I do to make it more fishable and chillable?

D-Man said:
Fish finder, Trolling motor or small gas motor, which ever your local lake allows.
Like stated by D-man, a Fish Finder and some sort of motor (trolling or small gas motor) would do you justice.

As far as trolling motors go, since it's a 12 footer, an entry level trolling motor with at least 30 pounds of thrust would be fine. Of course, if you plan on getting friends and gear together, you can look for a troller with more thrust.

As far as the fish finder goes, you should certainly look for a unit that can be removed easily. A good little unit like the Humminbird 565 can be removed and stored, leaving only the wiring hooked up on your boat, which obviously helps protect your setup.

So all in all:
Motor (trolling motor with a battery or an outboard with a 3-6 gallon gas tank)
Fish Finder
Life Jackets
...and don't forget the coolor with your favorite barley-pop :wink:

Latest posts