Is this a deal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave11

Reaction score
I have having trouble determing the value of some older boats I am considering buying. I need some opinions. I am looking for something that will last and not require major renovations.

What do you guys think of these two I had an eye on?

1986 Alumacraft Angler 16' bass boat
9.9 Mercury
2 fish finders
bow mount minn-kota trolling motor
anchormate
custom cover
trailer with new tires
Asking $3000

boat1.jpg
boat 2.jpg

1989 bass tracker 16' fishing boat
60hp Evinrude
fiberglass hull and aluminum deck
2 livewells, trolling motor, 3 batteries, & steering wheel.
Outboard motor &trailer matches boat.
Canvas cover
Asking $2500

boat 3.jpg
boat 4.jpg

Depending on the market in your area, I think the first boat is a rip off. If it had a 30+HP motor, I might consider it, but I'd definitely pass.

The tracker seems like a decent deal though. You'd want to see it run and make sure there are no cracks in the fiberglass. With aluminum decks, you can't lose. No need to worry about rotting wood! To be honest, I'd like to buy that tracker.

By the way, you should update your profile to let everyone know where you're from. And if you're in Michigan, good luck outbidding me on that tracker. :lol:

dyeguy1212 said:
By the way, you should update your profile to let everyone know where you're from. And if you're in Michigan, good luck outbidding me on that tracker. :lol:

Thanks for the quick response. I haven't actually figured out how to add to my profile yet, but I will figure it out. I just stumbled upon this site this week. I am from Pittsburgh. The market is really a mix here that is why I am struggling so much determing what is a deal.

If I bargain the alumacraft down to $2000, would that change your mind on the deal. It looks well kept.

You can update your profile in the upper left of the screen in the "User Control Panel."

To tell you the truth, I don't know if I'd pay 2 grand for a boat with that small of a motor, and that old. The reason being, I bought a 1993 16 foot tracker with a 40 HP mariner for 1500 bucks. While MI has a better buyers market, I still couldn't justify buying that alumacraft. But its really up to you, and what you find to be the better boat. It does seem well kept, but the styling makes it look old as hell :|

But for 2500 bucks, I can't see any reason not to buy that tracker if it runs and floats. Its probably one of the best deals I've seen in a while.

What kind of fishing do you do? Is this your first boat?

I mainly fish for bass sometimes catfish at night. Some of the places I fish though, can get shallow from time to time, so I thought an aluminum haul would be more practical for those situations. That said, I have never owned a fiberglass boat, so I can't speak to their durability and susceptiblity to cracks.

I currently own a small tracker 1232 jon along with a nice 6 hp 1993 johnson outboard that I bought last year. I was putting it on the roof of my suv and transporting that way. That works but it is by no means convenient. I thought about buying a small trailer which would allow me to fish by myself if I need to and make transporting easier, but too many people have told me I would throwing too much money on a small boat and have suggested if I was going to get a trailer then get a bigger boat too.

I already a potential buyer on hold for my current setup, so now I am on the market for a boat again.

I'd definitely look to upgrade. I don't know how rough you plan to be on your boat, but I don't think you'd have a problem with a fiberglass hull, as long as you are stump jumping and beaching in on the concrete ramp :lol:

Theres still some time, and spring seems to be the best time to find a deal. I'd keep looking until you find a deal you can't refuse, and don't have to post about until its in your driveway :wink:

I don't think the first boat is a deal at $2000. I bought a 15' 1992 Mirrocraft with a 1993 25 Johnson, trolling motor, depth finder, etc. for $2000 this fall.. but it's a different market everywhere. My suggestion is just be patient and you'll find a great deal. In december I picked up a 1980 17' Sea Nymph with a 45 HP motor for $550, that I'm fixing up to sell. Just watch Craiglist closely.

Nussy said:
I don't think the first boat is a deal at $2000. I bought a 15' 1992 Mirrocraft with a 1993 25 Johnson, trolling motor, depth finder, etc. for $2000 this fall.. but it's a different market everywhere. My suggestion is just be patient and you'll find a great deal. In december I picked up a 1980 17' Sea Nymph with a 45 HP motor for $550, that I'm fixing up to sell. Just watch Craiglist closely.

Thanks for the reply. The market in the SW PA area is such a mixed bag. I am not in a rush to buy, I just needed some unbiased opinions on these older boats so I have some frame of reference as to what is a deal. I agree with you, I will know a good deal when I see it. Thanks again!

Yes, the first boat is a ripoff. The fiberglass boat is ok at that price, but it depends on your tow vehicle. The fiberglass boats are supposed to be heavier than aluminum - that's what made my decision for a tin boat. The first boat would get a look from me at 1500, the second would get a look at that price.

Nussy's deal was a good one. It's amazing what people sell at the end of the season. I've been watching craigslst here and prices seem to be ramping up for the spring buying season but there are some deals still. When I was looking, i made a list of what I wanted in a boat - it had to have x,y,z or I didn't consider it. It made the buying process easier for a used boat. I bought a 16 foot aluminum with a 40hp motor for $800 (or was it 900) last march.

Will

One other thing to note. On Craiglist I usually don't even open up the add unless it has a picture. I think others probably do the some thing. On my deal, it didn't have a picture, but for some reason I decided to email the guy who sent me pictures. Without the pics I would never have even went and looked at it. I guess my point is sometimes the worst adds can be better deals. Especially after they've been posted a few weeks without any interest.

Latest posts