wood for a trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brine

Reaction score
Maybe.

I don't think it's possible to have a definite yes or no. I suspect there are several variable. How often do you use the boat, how often do the bunks get wet, is there paint on the bottom of the boat, does the carpet have rubber backing, etc...

To be safe, I would change them out the next time you change out the carpet on them. Until then, if you can move the boat enough to be able to see where the bunks typically rest on the hull, just make sure you don't see any signs of corrosion.

Personally I would cover the PT stuff with carpet and get some of the glide pucks made from UHMW Poly Ethelyne. That way the boat is supported by the wood without the hull resting on it. Plus with the glide blocks the boat will load and unload much easier. Best of both worlds.

Jamie

I would think you would be safe. Carpet on the bunks, and paint on the hull are two barriers against the contact aluminum. Honestly, I don't think it's anything you have to majorly worry about.

Next time you do your bunks, switch 'em out. Just keep an eye on your hull for any evidence as stated above.

Can somebody explain this issue of pressure treated wood eating aluminum?
I understand that the pt wood has salt in it and that it causes this problem.

Here in Maryland we use aluminum boats in salt water with no issues

Whats the story?

Damifinow Fish
1992 Alumacraft
That has spent it's life in salt water

It's the copper that is used to treat the wood that is the issue.

Personally I would cover the PT stuff with carpet and get some of the glide pucks made from UHMW Poly Ethelyne. That way the boat is supported by the wood without the hull resting on it. Plus with the glide blocks the boat will load and unload much easier. Best of both worlds.

Jamie

I recently redid my trailer and I ended up using true 2" X 4" cypress on mine. I then slathered several coats of deck stain on them to make them "pop" visually and just to seal them (I know, I didn't need to). Then I put the plastic bunk slides from Surfix on top of that. Boat slides right on and off and I shouldn't have to replace the bunk boards themselves for another 55 years. The cypress really wasn't that expensive but I don't remember what I paid for it...

My signature has a link to pics of the trailer.

Mike

Latest posts