Rivet-Nuts anyone?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rellis1962

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend that is building a single engine plane. He obviously works with aluminum a lot. I was asking about sources for aluminum stock etc. for my boat project and he turned me on to rivet-nuts. I may be behind the times here guys but I thought they could be a very useful item during Al boat mods. You need a special rivet gun to install them. I ordered some 1/4-20 and 10-24 nuts and special rivet gun to install. Here is a link to the site from which I ordered.

https://www.blindrivetsupply.com/Marson_Flat_Head_Rivet_Nuts.html

Wow that's pretty cool, might try that next time. Is the perfect blend of tee-nuts and rivets.

Plus-nuts are better if you can get them. They are more like a hollow wall anchor and won't pull through nearly as easily.

I learned about rivnuts the hard way when the factory mounted trolling motor on my Triton came flying off while running down the lake the summer before last. The rivnuts just don't get enough mushroom or bite for items that see a whole lot of heavy loading.. like a foot controlled trolling motor and bracket cantilevered over the deck of a boat in pounding waves.

We always called them "nutserts" when I used them and we didn't use a riveter. We had drills specifically for installing them that had a special chuck with a hardened steel threaded rod for a bit. You just threaded them on until the chuck was against the nutsert and gave it another squeeze to squash the back of the nutsert against the back of the aluminum.

https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/35015504/aview/bulhoffp330nose.JPG

They're handy, but I don't know that I'd spend the money for them on my boat. I guess if you didn't care about the appearance of the face of the nutsert you could just chuck a piece of hardened rod and cinch them down that way.

gm likes to use those for the add'ons like bug deflectors. i dont like um personally, too easy to pull threw. Im sure different brands are better than the ones we use tho