grinding the boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusmir

Reaction score
if i grind all the old paint off and what will happend if i dont prime it all the way the same day i really dont have 2 much time on my hands . yesterday i started alredy but its raining today .. all week it will rain..

i dont know what is self itching primer.. ; i purchased some primer but i dont think is self itching primer

You definitely want an Etching Primer, not just regular primer. You need an etching primer so that is bites into the aluminum for good adhesion. You can get Rustoleum etching primer at Wal-Mart in the automotive aisle. Comes in spray cans for about $5/can, depending on the size of the boat and what you plan to paint, you may need 2-4 cans. You can also find it at most auto parts stores. If you don't use an etching primer you may have some problems with the paint peeling off the boat. If you plan to use Steelflex you won't need any primer on that area.

So use that. The i could use regular marine primer and then paint correct. And week later steelflex

On my first boat, I used the etching primer, then regular primer, then paint. On the one I'm doing now, I put the paint directly on the etching primer and I actually think that worked better.

I chose to etch prime it first because it's a spray. That way I didn't have to tape anything off and if I oversprayed where they steelflex was going it didnt matter. Then I steelflexed the bottom, then I painted over the primer last. Other than the etching primer, I did everything with a 4 inch foam roller and I think it turned out pretty well.

why i asked is . i alredy have primer.. and i alredy have paint.. so baisacclly ill go and buy that stuff in the can and spray it just so its enough and that the other primer can sit on nicelly . then i will use my paint and over the paint ill use the steelflex .. but i also have another consurne .. when i started working on the boat and grinding all the paint off. there was a white layer that is very thick and its hard to take off. so i dont know if i should leave it on or just take all down .. ill take me forever to do that ill post up some pics this afternoon

here are few pics still in process . i found out behinde all that bondo there were more holes . :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :roll: :arrow: :evil: :evil: :evil: [-X [-o< [-X :x :x :x

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 848
  • GetAttachmenta.jpg
    GetAttachmenta.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 848
  • GetAttachmentb.jpg
    GetAttachmentb.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 848
Nussy said:
On my first boat, I used the etching primer, then regular primer, then paint. On the one I'm doing now, I put the paint directly on the etching primer and I actually think that worked better.

I chose to etch prime it first because it's a spray. That way I didn't have to tape anything off and if I oversprayed where they steelflex was going it didnt matter. Then I steelflexed the bottom, then I painted over the primer last. Other than the etching primer, I did everything with a 4 inch foam roller and I think it turned out pretty well.

So what attachemt do you use on the grinder?

Once you grind you dont need to prime where the steel flex goes correct?

Can you paint over the Steelflex?

THANKS

JASON

At harbor freight 10.00 bucks. For 5 attachents they comme in a package .
Im using eatching primer . Then the rest ' thats what i have been told

i guess i purchased the right primer =D> :) :p :p

Attachments

• GetAttachment8.jpg
    GetAttachment8.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 620
  • GetAttachment516.jpg
    GetAttachment516.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 620
  • GetAttachment546.jpg
    GetAttachment546.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 620
  • GetAttachment;jh.jpg
    GetAttachment;jh.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 620
  • GetAttachment;l.jpg
    GetAttachment;l.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 620
  • GetAttachmentyt.jpg
    GetAttachmentyt.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 620
Troutman3000 said:
Is Harbor Frieght like Home Depot? We dont have those round here.

we got Harbor freight here, There is one in marietta, and a new one opening in athens, What town do you live in troutman, I assume gwinnett is county?

Use a knotted wire brush for a angle grinder, If it sets wash it off with straight vinegar, it will remove the oxidation, If your steelflexing you dont need primer..

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :shock:

Bugpac said:
Troutman3000 said:
Is Harbor Frieght like Home Depot? We dont have those round here.

we got Harbor freight here, There is one in marietta, and a new one opening in athens, What town do you live in troutman, I assume gwinnett is county?

I live in Grayson. I was unaware that there was one around here.

So a four inch grinder will get the job done with a wire brush attachment?

THIS ONE? https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6674

This one, I put a real hurting on 2 of these at 20.00 each... You absolutely have to wear safety glasses as well, and make sure no kids or pets are within about 50'.. It doesnt hurt to wear some sort of apron either, these things have little projectiles that fly...

3822184.jpg

Latest posts