Deck fastening question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.:Crosby:.

Reaction score
First off I want to say this is an awesome site with alot of good information!
I have a 14' polarkraft vhull. i have most of the deck framing done and i am planning on using plywood w/ carpet as my deck. my question is how are you fastening your deck to the frame? Do i carpet the plywood and then srcew it down to the frame or screw it down then carpet it...or carpet it then screw it from underneath? :? seems pretty simple, i just want to know wich way works the best? Thanks in advance.

.:Crosby:.

I'm in this same perdicament, I just dont know which route to go..

Depends on who you ask lol.

I plan to use 6 carriage bolts. Before applying the carpet, I'm going to get the deck where I want it, drill the 6 holes through both the plywood and the framing, then take it off. I'm then going to put the bolts through the plywood, put a washer and nut on the end, and tighten it down. I'm then going to seal the topside of the bolt with marine sealant and let it dry. Then put on the carpet, folding around the edges.

Then I will remove the nuts and washers, and carefully lower the deck, with bolts sticking through, into the holes in the frames. I'll then shimmy underneath the deck through the storage hatch and put a nut and washer on each bolt. This way the carpet wraps all the way around (this is how I like it), and I can still remove the deck if need be, without removing the carpet.

Or you could just screw it in place and slap the carpet on 8)

DyeGuy1212, Ilike the way you think! I like it also when the carpet is wrapped on the edged, no unraveling or loose ends for glue to sneak out of. Looks a lot cleaner that way!

Boatdeck-1.jpg

What do you think?

Attachments

• Boat deck.jpg
    Boat deck.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 603
Im pretty sure thats how ill do it. I was think about making two decks that i can swap out pretty easy, one carpet and one coated with tuff-coat, or whatever that stuff is BPS sells. That way when i go in saltwater, run trot lines or go giging i dont have to worry about messin my carpet up...idk, just an idea.

If you have hatches you can screw from the underside. I'm using aluminum angle to support the hatch doors and stiffen things up. I plan to drill a few holes in the angle, in then simply screw through those up into the wood from the underside.