aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boater, in general,no your boat will not lose strength just from age. But what can happen over time in specific areas is the material can fatigue. Most of our boats get fatigued going down the road on a trailor with poorly designed bunks. To big a motor, jumping beaver dams or large rollers from barges etc.

There are big differences in strength & yield among the differing grades of aluminum.

"Yield" is how much stress can be placed on a specific grade of aluminum before it begins to stretch or deform in a measurable amount.

Most aluminum Jons of today are made from 5052 a very good grade that takes abuse pretty well. Some older ones are made 3003 to 6061. Neither are the best choice for the sides or bottom of a boat.

The best way to strengthen your transom depends on the grade of aluminum it was made with & its thickness. Sometimes some thing as simple as 3/4" marine plywood layed across & bolted to the transom will work. If your boat is made from a good marine grade aluminum, bracing thats welded in, is almost always best.

Couple of question.......why are you wishing to strengthen your transom? What make is your boat? This could better help get the answers you need.

boater1234 said:
I DON'T HAVE A BOAT YET BUT AM DECIDING IF I WANT A NEW ONE OR USED.I TEND TO LEAN TOWARDS NEW.
If you plan on using this boat for ever. That is what I would do. Sorry, I read your post & missed the fact that you where still looking.

Latest posts