TRANSOM REPLACEMENT NEED HELP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutman3000

Reaction score
I got a few questions too. These are related to my boat however.

1. What are all the bolt on the outside transom? Are they all required on the new one?

2. How do I seal the holes where said bolts are?

3. Do you really need the outside transom if the inside one is replaced?

4. How is the inside transom held in place? By the screws from the outside transom?

5. Is it necessary to seal both transoms with silicone or steel flex?

6. How should I re-attach both transoms?

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

Attachments

• DSCF2327.JPG
    DSCF2327.JPG
    539.5 KB · Views: 416
  • DSCF2329.JPG
    DSCF2329.JPG
    569.1 KB · Views: 416
  • DSCF2330.JPG
    DSCF2330.JPG
    563.9 KB · Views: 416
Seems as if they best way to answer these questions would be to tear them off and find out. I'm willing to but the outside piece is bolted to the hull, because its not like the two pieces are sandwiching the hull, or so it seems.

It'd probably be best to replace both pieces, and keep it similar to the stock set up (or better).

What kind of motor are you running

dyeguy1212 said:
Seems as if they best way to answer these questions would be to tear them off and find out. I'm willing to but the outside piece is bolted to the hull, because its not like the two pieces are sandwiching the hull, or so it seems.

It'd probably be best to replace both pieces, and keep it similar to the stock set up (or better).

What kind of motor are you running

This is going to be my rebuild projecct so I want to put a decent sized outboard at some point. For now it will be just for the trolling motor. But in the future I want to get a foot control trolling motor to mount up front.

What keeps the wholes caused by the screw holes in the hull from leaking? Sealing the outside seams of both boards?

I'd put a sealant in each hole before securing it with a bolt. It probably wouldnt hurt to go around the outside edges with a sealant after that

dyeguy1212 said:
I'd put a sealant in each hole before securing it with a bolt. It probably wouldnt hurt to go around the outside edges with a sealant after that

Thanks. Any sealant that you would recomend?

Troutman3000 said:
dyeguy1212 said:

Thanks. Any sealant that you would recomend?

3M's 5200 is the best.