What boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoguy

Reaction score
Well, I am new to the board, but I have been lurking around here for a while. Great site and look forward to posting my projects in the future. I am finally in the market for a jon boat and was wondering if you guys to could help me out with some questions.

Mainly I am wondering what size to get. I am a big guy(about 350lb) and would like to fish with at most 1 other guy at a time. I have been looking for a 1436, but have been coming up somewhat short. Will a 1248 get me to the same end? I am wanting to mod it by putting a deck or two in it. I have a 15 horse long shaft for a motor. This is also my first boat, so bear with me on some dumb questions.

Seth-

Welcome to the site.

I'd hold out for a 1448 or bigger if your budget will allow, but what kind of fishing do you do, and what types of water will you be on?

My total budget for the project is about $500, so I am buying used. That also includes doing some of the mods. I will be doing mostly bass and crappie fishing on large lakes/ponds/reservoirs, maybe some trout fishing on lakes too.

Seth-

I would hold out for at least a 1448 for decks....not to be a downer but 500 bucks may not get you far. You might have to wait and save for the mods as you go, but look at the bright side if you do that. You will know exzactly what you want and need.

I wish $500 wouldve covered my project. I scored what I think to be a great deal on my boat.. its a 1442, with a close to new trailer, TM and fish finder for $800. But now that I'm in the modding process, with my decks down and not carpeted or anything im at $1400 easy. I think if Im lucky ill finish up around $1750. #-o

I plan on doing the mod pretty gradually. I can get my lumber for pretty cheap, but I know i won't be able to do it all at once. I have a boat in mind. I am emailing a guy and I think I can get this boat for about $250. I am unsure of the width, can anyone tell what it is?

DSC00748.jpg

Seth-

Prolly not wide enough to deck safely

I'm with everybody else... I learned my lesson and wish I would have just saved up and got a big one right away. However, I got lucky and was able to sell my smaller ones for profit as I upgraded.

I agree with Brine and company. Hold out for a 1448. I made the mistake of buying too small of a boat last year and ended up in the lake. Sold it two weeks after I bought it. I'm no small guy myself and I really feel that a 1440 would be the minimum size to deck safely. Also it's going to be hard to get a boat and mod it for $500. The dollars add up fast.

Like they said - hold out for a bigger one. I have a 1236 and with me (180#), my partner and gear, the capacity of mine is at max. Sitting on the trailer it looks big enough but on the water it's pretty small. I've had the wake from another boat come over the bow - I decided to trade up. Hold out if you can.

Listen, this is a 12foot narrow boat, like in the 30+ inches with, I had 2 of them for reservoir fishing, extremely unstable, in fact I would never atempt to stand up in it, with seats its even worse, just be cautious, gotta have 40+ width. I almost capsized the first time out with a fish on.

Latest posts