Anyone wire a trim switch on the bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting one of those "Hot Trim" foot controlled trim switches for the front of my boat.. for 30 bucks it would make my life a heck of a lot easier when fishing shallow.

However, I can't find any info on them outside of what bass pro includes in the product page. Anyone know what it takes to wire one of these up? And if someone does, can I buy a cheaper switch to get the job done?

Thanks

the front of my tracker has just a normal mom/off/mom switch. Nothing fancy. You can get by with a much cheaper switch. Not alot of amps going through these usually there power is fed through a relay. As far as wiring goes, i'm not sure. Does your wiring now go through a relay?

dyeguy1212 said:
I'm thinking about getting one of those "Hot Trim" foot controlled trim switches for the front of my boat.. for 30 bucks it would make my life a heck of a lot easier when fishing shallow.

However, I can't find any info on them outside of what bass pro includes in the product page. Anyone know what it takes to wire one of these up? And if someone does, can I buy a cheaper switch to get the job done?

Thanks

Is your bote a tiller or remote console setup? With the console there is usually a couple of extra wires for this purpose which you would just need to extend to the bow. The switch you can find at any marine or bote parts store.

I figured I'd have no problem using any switch, I just need a durable one that wont break when I step on it.

My boat has a console, but I sure haven't seen any spare wires...

Durable? use a hot foot switches and remove the lock... you should be able to run leads right off the console switch... You really only need the ability to raise it from the bow right? What would you need to lower it for?

:mrgreen: I really do not know as I run electric only, But the ability to raise it is so when you jump up front and forget, you dont get any exercise going back and raising it, Correct?

No, its for when I'm going down stream and see a stump, and dont have time to jump to the cockpit area to raise the motor before its too late.

Right... but I fail to see why I wouldn't wire it for both up and down if I already have the soldering iron warm :wink:

I'm not so much worried about finding a short cut, I'm more interested in finding out exactly how to do it. If someone has a diagram or pictures, send em my way please.

You should have 3 wires on the back of the switch, the center being power, the outer wires being up and down, when you rock the switch each way it connects the power from the center. I only ask about the shortcut as then you could use the hot foot switch, and them things are durable...

I guess I should be more specific as to where I'm questioning... how to I hook it up to me existing trim (as in the button on the shifter)? I see no loose wires, so I'm assuming I'll have to do some cutting reconnecting.. right?

There should be two relays on the motor that control the up/down function on the trim. You need to take a 12v hot wire and run it to the middle leg of a (mom/off/mom) switch. Then run a wire from the top pole the control wire one relay, then run a wire from the bottom pole the control wire to the other relay. This will give you the ability to raise/lower the motor from the from. If it goes up when you want it to go down you have the wires backwards.

On most relays the 85 pole is for the control; 30 is for the battery power; 86 ground; 87 is out to the item. Need to check and see if you have those relays on your motor.