Anchor Winch - good or bad

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunkerville

Reaction score
I have been lurking through the many photo's posted and see a number of pics where guys have installed anchor winches. Do these work well? Looking for your opinions, yea or neh. Dont see too many boats with them in my neck of the wood.

I have an electric minn kota and I like it

however, if it wouldn't have came on the boat, I sure wouldnt buy one for the price

I've also used a manual anchor winch and theyre okay... but I'm just as content throwing the anchor overboard..

I've gone back and forth about putting one on my rig, but finally decided it would take up the remaining portion of the bow (next to the tm) where I step on and off the boat when I beach it, plus it's not that much trouble to lower/raise the anchor by hand. I'm usually in shallow water anyway, except for the occasional 10' - 20', and it's good exercise, lol.

I had a hand operated anchor winch on my boat for years. It was great while fishing alone. I could drop the front anchor from the tiller position. However, it wasn't any easier to crank back up with the winch than pulling it up by hand.Also the anchor line through the pulleys running the length of the boat was a good hook catcher. I wo'nt be reinstalling it on my rebuild.

thanks for the replies guys, I kinda thought the same thing about the space factor. To me, it would limit you to one anchor position as well not to mention, I am sure that when the anchor gets hung up, you are up there manually pulling it up anyways. I think I will scratch the idea.

Twice in the last 3 years, my anchor caught on something on the bottom and I had to cut the rope. What happens if you flip the switch and your anchor isn't comin up? I could see that thing pulling me right down to the bottom of the river :lol:

I just put one my newest purchase 1991 tracker deep v 16. just this past weekend I have had one now on my last 3 boats it was the 1st thing I bought for it when I got home pretty clumbsy tripped ove 2 many rope for me in boat. they have a circuit breaker if anchor is stucl I buy one made for pontoon at Bass Pro Shop I think was $139.00 a lot cheaper than min kota Worst problem is remebering to pull it up.

WhiteMoose said:
Twice in the last 3 years, my anchor caught on something on the bottom and I had to cut the rope. What happens if you flip the switch and your anchor isn't comin up? I could see that thing pulling me right down to the bottom of the river :lol:

I would bet that someone, somewhere has a story on this.

I just put one my newest purchase 1991 tracker deep v 16. just this past weekend I have had one now on my last 3 boats it was the 1st thing I bought for it when I got home pretty clumbsy tripped ove 2 many rope for me in boat. they have a circuit breaker if anchor is stucl I buy one made for pontoon at Bass Pro Shop I think was $139.00 a lot cheaper than min kota Worst problem is remebering to pull it up.

Been there, I have torn a cleat off of a boat by forgetting to haul the anchor. First I noticed something in the steering then a dramatic slow down followed by a "pop" then a dramatic acceleration.

Nevillizer said:

Been there, I have torn a cleat off of a boat by forgetting to haul the anchor. First I noticed something in the steering then a dramatic slow down followed by a "pop" then a dramatic acceleration.

:roflmao: :roflmao: I once forgot that I had tied the tail end of a rope off to the back of my boat, and to the end of a dock......fortunatley cheap ropes break :oops: easy. :oops:

I had looked at these also and wondered about them. I finally just decided that whoever fished with me would fish from the back of the boat, (where the anchor is)...Problem solved.

I have a hand-crank version on mine, and the one big advantage for me is the rope stowage (is that a word?)...much easier for it to self-stow on the anchor reel than having rope laying all over the bow deck.

Latest posts