how do u install this

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusmir

Reaction score
id like to find a kit that does this not to expensive im trying to do some stuff to my boat ..

Attachments

• steel%20rivets.jpg
    steel%20rivets.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 713
  • rivets.jpg
    rivets.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 713
rusmir said:
id like to find a kit that does this not to expensive im trying to do some stuff to my boat ..

I used stainless steel rivets in my boat after the ones holding my aluminum floor started popping after a rough ride on the Delaware River. I purchased the special SS rivet tool (manual). If you can afford some type powered rivet gun do it especially if you have a lot of rivets to do. You may be able to rent one also.

Oh - how do you install rivets? Yeah - a trivet gun

Or

large rock and smaller rock

Big azz hammer

Vice grips

Duct tape

You get the idear

hey man! check out this post.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10958&p=113313#p113313

it is reall easy but usually requires two people.

Do you have a air compressor or know someone that does?
If so then get a air hammer gun/tool they cost about 20.00 at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight.The bit you should be able to get where you got your rivets,the all you need is a small sledge hammer for the small end of the rivets.

caveman

What caveman said but........
Usually they use the solid aluminum rivets for boats. Those are usually used for riveting through thick stuff because the bit you use will not expand the rivet it will curl the open end till it gets tight. So in other words it will not swell and fill the hole.

We used those type on roll up doors on 18 wheeler trailers and the solid ones on the side sheets. I've shot thousands of rivets over the last 20 years and I would use the solid ones If I were you.

If you are riveting the floor or something like that you need pop rivets. Sides you need solid buck rivets.

Hope this helps,
Kenny

Latest posts