Putting floors in my 1436 Tracker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali27

Reaction score
hey guys, first off really cool site. I have a 1436 new Tracker. I upgraded from the 1032. Im wanting to put carpeted floors through out the boat, not interested in a high deck at all just because of stability and weight issues. Honestly I have been reading all the mods done on this site and i feel a little overwhelmed. I just want to know the easiest and best way to go about just floors in my entire boat.
Thanks in advance

I used 1/4"(I think) plywood and screwed that into the ribs...Then carpeted over top. If you use plywood just remember to counter sink your screws and don't use long ones. It really wasn't a bad project, just got time consuming laying the carpet.

I would use something thicker than 1/4". I used 3/4" Exterior, untreated plywood. You could probably get away with 1/2" if you're ribs are close together(12" vs 16"). I'd simply measure or template the floor. Cut it out. Water seal it with a couple coats of Thompson's Water Seal, carpet it, then put it in the boat. You may not even have to screw it down to the floor if it's below the seats. That way the panels would be removeable to dry out if needed.

P.S. No need to be intimidated. It's really much easier than it seams.

I have done what you describe and used a technique similar to what Nussy described. Get some plywood and cut the plywood to fit the floors of your jon boat. Instead of using the ribs of the boat to support the floor I bought some cheap 2x2s and screwed those to the bottom of the plywood. I sealed all the wood with several coats of Thompson Water Seal, and then glued/stapled the marine carpet to the wood panels.

This worked out really well, and the panels are removable which is gone for a multitude of reasons. I can post pictures if you would like to see the finished product.

moloch16 said:
I have done what you describe and used a technique similar to what Nussy described. Get some plywood and cut the plywood to fit the floors of your jon boat. Instead of using the ribs of the boat to support the floor I bought some cheap 2x2s and screwed those to the bottom of the plywood. I sealed all the wood with several coats of Thompson Water Seal, and then glued/stapled the marine carpet to the wood panels.

This worked out really well, and the panels are removable which is gone for a multitude of reasons. I can post pictures if you would like to see the finished product.

+1 on this. The back half of my boat where I have the lower floor I did this same thing. I didn't secure the floor to boat so it can be removed for cleaning, etc. I would use 1/2" board (or 3/4" if you prefer). You'll get a more solid feel.

Thanks for the encouragement and the great info. I like the idea of being able to remove the floors. Muloch if you woul not mind some pics would be great. Again thanks everyone.

all you need is 19/32" exterior plywood... found at home depot or lowes - just make sure it's not pressure treated. Put a few coats of exterior deck paint or waterseal on it, carpet it, then you can either just set it in place (if you cut it tight to fit) or screw it on top of the ribs. The screws will get lost in the carpet, so you don't have to worry about heads showing through

Latest posts