Decking Question - 1/2 plywood is ok?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using 1/2 plywood for decking to save weight and money. Maybe you can answer some questions for me.

• If you used this - What spacing did you use for supports for 1/2 ply? (thinking 12 inches now)
  • If you used this - how does it hold up over time? - Is 3/4 going to last longer?
  • If you used this - would you use it again or go with 3/4 plywood next time?

Thanks for the help!

Today, I found supplies for just about everything I need to get going. I started on pulling the old stuff out now - looks like 3/4 plywood. My boat is heavy, and I'd like to take the family on it and still get on plan with the 17 pitch prop.

Thanks,

Will

I've used 1/2 inch. 3/4 will last longer, and thats why I'm using it on my next mod.

Spacing varies, but I wouldn't say anything less than 12" apart

I initially built my frame (which was between 12" and 15" o.c if memory serves me) then took some scrap of 1/2" and 3/4" that I had laying around and tried out both. For me the 1/2" was rock solid and much lighter than the 3/4". As far as how well it will hold up, I can't really speak to that since my deck is a little less than a year old, but if you coat it with water sealer (Thompson's or whatever you local box store carries) then cover it with marine carpet I would think it will last for a while.

I think I'm going to have to do a test on 1/2 plywood. My storage hatches will all be narrow anyway, so the longest stretch will be a little over 12 inches. Guess I'll build a 14x platform and just jump on it a while, see if it gives or is solid. Maybe even leave one side open and check the deflection.

It would save 50% in decking weight (vs 3/4) and the boat will be stored indoors most of the time.

Ahhh decisions! :?

Latest posts