mounting seats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali27

Reaction score
want to mount the seats directly to the bench seats in my jon boat. what is the best material to use for the job. im scared of the screw just ripping right out if i lean back a little.

Thanks

cali27 said:
has anyone used toggle bolts for mounting their seats? Any problems, im still nervous about this. Thanks
You'll be just fine with toggle bolts, as they will support much more. Since you'll be leaning and putting pressure on the seat, this is probably your best bet!

008236847154md.jpg

Lowes and Home Depot both carry these, so you should be good to go. If you are nervous, just talk to someone at the hardware store, and they might offer any advice that you should know about, but its pretty straight forward :wink:

I'd use stainless. Not sure that Home Depot or Lowes sells them.

I've done it 2 different ways... the first was to put a 5/8" piece of wood across the bench, attach it with 3" self tapping lag screws (3/8"), then attach the seat to that with the same screws.

the second boat I did, I just used the same type of lag screws... I didn't use butterfly/toggle bolts because I didn't want to drill that big of a whole.

It's all personal preferance... some guys feel safer using toggle bolts, and that is the best way if you have thin gauged aluminum. if it's 1/8" thick, the 3" self tapping lag screws will be enough

you guys are awesome
, this site kicks ***. I think im going to put carpeted plywood across the seats and still use the toggle bolts through both wood and seat. I will be starting my mod as soon as i get everything together and i will post all picks and trust me i will have a ton of questions for u guys.

thanks again to everyone

Latest posts