buying this tomorrow

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
After looking for months I have found my next boat. I am going to get this 2000 Alumacraft Waterfowler 1546.

waterfowler1546.jpg

It is an all welded aluminum boat that is essentially wide open inside and designed to be that way from the start so I won't have any structural problems when I make a few changes. I am going up from a 1236 so this is a big change for me. It still has a 15" transom but the sides are 20" high so I can take it out in some rougher weather. I really don't plan much in the way of modifications. It already has an aluminum floor so I'll probably just carpet that. The biggest problem is the large bench seat in the back. To run the motor you have to sit sideways and put your left leg up on the bench. I am going to cut out part of the middle to make room for my feet on the floor. I'll move the pin socket for the seat from its current center location to the starboard side.

backseatcutout.jpg

There is a bulkhead between the back compartment and the bench seat so the gas can/battery will still be covered but opening that up that area will make a big difference. I looked at a 2005 model that had the back open with a pedestal seat and it was a lot better set-up.

It's at a dealer and doesn't have a motor. It's rated for a 25hp motor. The seller told me that most of the new 25hp 4-stroke motors are too heavy for the boat and recommends a 20hp instead. I guess I will either do as he suggests or look for a good used 25hp 2-stroke which would be lighter. I think a motor of 125-140# seems ideal. I found a 2009 20hp Merc online that was used one season for about half the cost of new retail. At the risk of opening a can of worms, I would like to have some opinion bout motors. I can get basically anything at this point and don't have any real strong brand loyalty yet - my Nissan 4-stroke is a really nice motor. Given the season, there aren't too many used motors on CL yet but I have time to look. I have been looking at 20hp 4-stroke electric start motors online and I have found these prices so far - Honda $3829, Mercury $3154, Tohatsu $2710 and Nissan $2636. The dealer quoted me $3400 for a Yamaha.

I am pretty excited to get this even though I won't pick it up until April or May. I've got my 1236 on CL hoping to sell it soon.

I think you would be better served to keep looking for a used 2-stroke 25. If you go with the 4-stoke 20, you will be giving up power and adding weight. The 2-stroke 25 will give you more power and less weight, and really move that boat along nicely!

Congrats on the boat! =D>

Nice looking setup...if it were me, I'd leave carpet out of the situation. That boat is so versatile right now, it would be hard to justify putting carpet over the suraface of strong, cleaneable aluminum.

It's just my thought, but I wish you the best with your project! Your 1236 came out looking pristine, can't wait to see your progress.

MeanMouth said:
Nice looking setup...if it were me, I'd leave carpet out of the situation. That boat is so versatile right now, it would be hard to justify putting carpet over the suraface of strong, cleaneable aluminum...

That was my original intentions when I bought mine, thinking it'd be a cinch to keep clean. After the first two trips on really sunny, hot days I changed my mind. That dang metal got hot real quick! :shock: , plus my wife goes fishing with me occasionally, and didn't need her getting burnt on the metal. Went to Lowe's and bought the carpet.

You can get an extension for the tiller handle, I fish out of my buddys grizzly that is setup that exact way, And i always have to drive, It has about a 18" extension on the tiller handle, It is very easy to operate with it..

Bugpac said:
You can get an extension for the tiller handle, I fish out of my buddys grizzly that is setup that exact way, And i always have to drive, It has about a 18" extension on the tiller handle, It is very easy to operate with it..

Can I find the extension at places like Cabela's or BPS? I have seen them for TMs but not for outboards. Is it a specialty item and different for each motor? I really like the controls on Evenrude ETech motors - the shifter and a fine throttle adjustment (rocker switch) are on the tiller. Pretty sweet but too heavy for my boat.

270Handiman said:
I think you would be better served to keep looking for a used 2-stroke 25. If you go with the 4-stoke 20, you will be giving up power and adding weight. The 2-stroke 25 will give you more power and less weight, and really move that boat along nicely!

Congrats on the boat! =D>

At this point that would be my preference. I am a little unclear about the whole question of mixed gas - some are injected and some not. I know Johnson doesn't make motors at all anymore and Evenrude doesn't make a motor smaller than 25hp. What I think I would really like is a used 25hp oil injected. Anyone have model preferences for oil injected motors?

bobberboy said:
Bugpac said:

Can I find the extension at places like Cabela's or BPS? I have seen them for TMs but not for outboards. Is it a specialty item and different for each motor? I really like the controls on Evenrude ETech motors - the shifter and a fine throttle adjustment (rocker switch) are on the tiller. Pretty sweet but too heavy for my boat.

Ill find out for you, it wont accommodate anything but throttle and the tiller tho..

I have a very similar boat with a 2 stroke 25hp Johnson. It's a electric start and I keep the battery in the back along with the fuel tank, which makes it a little stern heavy, but it's a great sturdy boat and having the 25hp is great when you have a loaded boat. My seat pin is in the middle of my seat, so when driving, I am sitting sidways with my feet resting on the gunnel. Hope this helps.

Latest posts