Good Price?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

authentic

Reaction score
I'm brand new to the forum, so if this is in the wrong place, please redirect me. I'm going to look at a 15' x 62" jon boat today. It comes w/a 1998 15 hp Mariner outboard, two trolling motors, front casting deck already built, and a fairly nice homemade trailer. Sounds like to boat is well taken care of. The guy is asking $1700. Would you consider this a good price, if everything is as it seems? Also, what other things should I be looking at, when I go to check the boat out?

beetlespin said:
Bugpac said:
Sounds like a reasonable price to me, Id certainly try and jew him to at least 1300 tho.. :)

Is this statement politically correct [-X

It is down here in the south.. :)

Do you have any pictures of the boat, the price does sound good but it could be a big pile when you get there, just look it over well, Id even run a comp test on the engine if it was me...

Welcome to the site. When you get a chance, update your profile so we know what part of the world you live in. Regionally, boats can substantially differ in value. The condition of the boat and accessories is how I would assess the value.

That motor alone could be worth $900 if it's in great working condiditon, or maybe it's worth half that because it needs alot of work.

You didn't mention the size/brand trolling motors, but that could be another $800 worth of trolling motors. Maybe half that or less?

So.... if the motor runs great, and you've got two motors that are worth $800 ish, that makes the boat and trailer free :mrgreen:

See if the seller will take you for a ride in the boat. That way you get to see how the motor runs, and if the boat has any leaks etc...

Thanks for the input. I won't be getting out for a ride in it, as we've got about 14 inches of ice at the moment, in Nebraska. the outboard sounds to be in great working order. The trolling motors are a newer 55lb thrust Minn Kota Power Drive that needs the circuit board replaced, and a little bit older transom mount that he used as a back up. I've done a little reading, and it looks like I could get the circuit board for under $80. It also comes w/5 life jackets, a paddle, and a few other accessories. I really appreciate the fact that he's going to go out and take some more pics for me, before I have to make a 2.5 hr drive in the cold and wind. When he gets those up, I'll share them.

Attachments

• for sale 040.jpg
    for sale 040.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 600
Sounds like negotiations are in order now....

Without a doubt, you need to know that motor runs, and it runs good. I wouldn't buy it without knowing that.

So, you have a 55lb thrust motor that (possibly) needs $80 worth of repair. I put the value of the motor right around $250 in that case. That leaves $1,450 for boat (that may leak and need new seats), motor (that may not run, or run good), and trailer (which appears to have rust on it and the rims).... Not a good deal yet.

Any talk on how the tires/bearings are on the trailer? If the trolling motor doesn't work, I wonder how long it's been sitting.

He has a trolling motor with it that works. The Power Drive went out near the end of last season, so he just used the back up. Trailer had new tires last year along w/repacking the bearings every spring.

Like I said, I'm new to a lot of this. Never bought an outboard before. Is it possible to fire up for a bit, while it's out of the water?

Take a 5 gallon bucket if it will fit in it.. I wouldn't fire it up without water unless it has been in the water in the last day or so.. then only for a split second, If you plan to put a water pump in it anyways, then yes, id fire it up regardless... No longer than 1 minute or so tho..

Thanks guys. Brine, I've called on all the flat bottoms you linked. That's what I'm really looking for. The one you say you'd be putting your money toward is sold. Out of all of those, this one appears to be the closest to what I'd want. I think it's a 1976 Lowe Big Jon 16. I know it's a 1976 Lowe, don't know what else it'd be, besides a Big Jon. I've been casually looking for about a year at these boats. Occasionally, a deal will come along that seems better, but the boat is either gone or not near the deal it was made out to be.

I hear ya...It took me over a year to find one I wanted at the price I could afford. Bottome line is, if it's worth it to you, than it's a good value. It's tough to get a boat, clean it up/fix it up, do some mods to it, and think you're gunna get what you put into it back someday. I would say those are the exception to the rule. Just seems that deals should be out there right now, just a matter of finding them. Don't forget to tell everyone you know that you're looking for a boat. You might end up buying one that never was listed for sale. Good luck, and hope the Lowe turns out to be a good buy for ya.

Here are the latest pics he sent. I'm a sucker for shiny things, so the outboard's got me excited. He said they fish 3 out of it comfortably, but could fish 4 if you were careful.

Attachments

• Picture 065.jpg
    Picture 065.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 550
  • Picture 066.jpg
    Picture 066.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 550
  • Picture 067.jpg
    Picture 067.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 550
  • Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 550
  • Picture 069.jpg
    Picture 069.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 550
  • Picture 070.jpg
    Picture 070.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 550
  • Picture 071.jpg
    Picture 071.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 550
  • Picture 072.jpg
    Picture 072.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 550
  • Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 550
  • Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 550
If that motor runs, buy it. Now.

Seems like a decent boat, but the trailer probably needs some work (just a guess). If you're down for some modding, that boat is a good place to start

Well, thanks to our wonderful winter weather, I may not be getting this boat. Couldn't make it up to Omaha to check it out. If it's still around this weekend I'll have a crack at it or possibly and 18 footer w/a little older outboard, but that boat looks a little cleaner overall. It'd be more of a blank slate. I don't think I'd be going wrong w/either of them. I like the idea of the 18 footer, since I already have a small 14 footer for pond hopping.