iv done this it works great

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusmir

Reaction score
where the riveted ribs are on the bottom and sides. i figured out that the foam in can works great it filles the riibs and keeps leeks if they acure out of the boat and specialy if u use steelflex its going to last.. except if u over do it it might cause problems . just about enought just to fill the ribs.. good luck peeps .. let me know what u think about it/..

Lots of discussions on the internet about using "Great Stuff" foam in boats....Most are not good. I'm sure there are times when it's just fine, but in general, it doesn't belong in boats.

rusmir said:
Ur right but it dosent hurt to have it

It can hurt to have it, especially if you have a leak. Great stuff will absorb water and fuel breaks it down pretty rapidly and creates a gooey mess. If you do have a leak the extra water weight will be carried possibly affecting trim and definitely affecting fuel economy due to the extra weight. As little as it takes to fill the ribs on the side of the hull probably isn't going to affect anything; but I wouldn't use it in any area where it may come in contact with water or fuel and definitely not in large areas like filling seats or under soles.

You can get a 2 part expanding foam in a 2 quart kit for $32 that is USCG approved and will not absorb water and is fuel resistant.

Spraying, expanding, cutting...and leveling out.

I figured you would have just went to lowes and picked up a couple sheets of styrofoam, cut it to size, and layed it down between the ribs. Probably would have been easier Rus!

MeanMouth said:

I figured you would have just went to lowes and picked up a couple sheets of styrofoam, cut it to size, and layed it down between the ribs. Probably would have been easier Rus!

I think he used it inside each rib, not in between.

Rat said:
rusmir said:
Ur right but it dosent hurt to have it

It can hurt to have it, especially if you have a leak. Great stuff will absorb water and fuel breaks it down pretty rapidly and creates a gooey mess. If you do have a leak the extra water weight will be carried possibly affecting trim and definitely affecting fuel economy due to the extra weight. As little as it takes to fill the ribs on the side of the hull probably isn't going to affect anything; but I wouldn't use it in any area where it may come in contact with water or fuel and definitely not in large areas like filling seats or under soles.

You can get a 2 part expanding foam in a 2 quart kit for $32 that is USCG approved and will not absorb water and is fuel resistant.

Supposedly great stuff is closed cell.. so it shouldnt be absorbing water..

it says its airtight &water resistant bonds to most materials cures rigid trims easily sandable paintable for interior and exterior .\\\ i only filled little bit in the ribs . didnt do to much just cause . i wasent 100% sure but its not going to make an exect on the boat . i hope it desent absorb water ill be pissed. cause i asked them and it says on the can .. its very oily foam .. oilbased

Attachments

• Great-Stuff-500.jpg
    Great-Stuff-500.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 897
Brine said:
MeanMouth said:

I think he used it inside each rib, not in between.
I see, I see. Thanks for settin' me straight Brine!

rusmir said:
i dont think ill give me problems

As long as it's not constantly saturated with water, it should be fine.

If you google "Great Stuff Boat Foam" you will get lots of discussions on it, and most are not good. It's just not the right product for the application, otherwise the company would market it as such.

Luckily I'm using my foam in sealed flotation boxes in my next mod..

And since when is your foam going to submerged for days? I had great stuff prayed all throughout the bow of my 14 footer and it was stored outside 24/7 and I never had a problem with it. At all.

well its looks like it's absorbing a little water i just went outside to work a bit on it. and i dont know i think im gonna also just use it on closed space where water cant enter.. and im going to lay styrofoam on the bottom one of those u ubuy at lowes or home depot. tx guys on good info .;(

Well I emailed Dow to get the scoop on Great Stuff. There website says it's a "closed cell polyurethane foam" which is what most of the other stuff is that's used for floatation.

Here's the response " Great Stuff is used to block air infiltration into homes. The product is water resistant but the product is not water proof."

I think any foam used will eventually hold water. The stuff I cut out of my boat was the factory original and the bottom two inches were soaked.......but the guy stored it outside in the rain, with no cover and the foam directly exposed to all the elements.

I think you would be find using Great stuff in areas that won't be sitting in water. My suggestion would be to use the pink building foam between the ribs on the floor. It's easier to work with and cheaper than the foam. Then use the foam in areas above the floor like a seat, etc.

Nussy said:
Well I emailed Dow to get the scoop on Great Stuff. There website says it's a "closed cell polyurethane foam" which is what most of the other stuff is that's used for floatation.

Here's the response " Great Stuff is used to block air infiltration into homes. The product is water resistant but the product is not water proof."

I think any foam used will eventually hold water. The stuff I cut out of my boat was the factory original and the bottom two inches were soaked.......but the guy stored it outside in the rain, with no cover and the foam directly exposed to all the elements.

I think you would be find using Great stuff in areas that won't be sitting in water. My suggestion would be to use the pink building foam between the ribs on the floor. It's easier to work with and cheaper than the foam. Then use the foam in areas above the floor like a seat, etc.

Nice detective work.. I would have guessed they'd give an answer like that.

I'd go along with what you said though.. I think spray foam should only be used in places sheet foam cant, or in areas that are sealed from water. While I've never had an issue with great stuff getting soggy etc, its probably better not to risk it.

Plus sheet foam come in varying thicknesses, making it perfect for putting under floors.

dyeguy1212 said:
Nussy said:

Nice detective work.. I would have guessed they'd give an answer like that.

I'd go along with what you said though.. I think spray foam should only be used in places sheet foam cant, or in areas that are sealed from water. While I've never had an issue with great stuff getting soggy etc, its probably better not to risk it.

Plus sheet foam come in varying thicknesses, making it perfect for putting under floors.

What I liked about using the sheets was it was so easy to fit it perfectly and i was able to get a thinkness exactly the same as the ribs so my wood rests right on top of it. Made the floor really solid.

Awsome homework guys i went and bought the sheet at hone depot 4.00 bucks ;) only it was a damaged on corners but hey it wont bothet me under thr. Flooring ! So thanks on the ingo and i will try to get that crap out of the ribs that i put , its only3 of them!!!!

I never said boats don't get wet inside, did I?

I'm not saying you should use it, I'm just saying it worked fine for me. I left mine outside, but apparently I'm the only one who knows how to pull a drain plug :roll: :lol:

Again, I think sheet foam is a better option. Read my posts. I am, however, saying that great stuff worked fine for me, and didn't lead to a boater's equivalent of the apocalypse.. :|