Rubber carpeting underlayment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
I was walking through Steins Garden store today and saw rubber liners for outdoor ponds (and such).

Any ideas on using this as a layer between the carpeting and the decking? It looks like it would work really well and keep the wood from getting wet at all (from the top anyway).

It was available in 10/15/20 foot wide legths at varying costs per foot. Looks like maybe $100 or so to cover the decking.

Any pros or cons on this idea?
Will

Pros: none

Cons: If you have ever left plastic/rubber lay in your yard or driveway when you lift it up it is always damp.
So the way i look at this ,Moisture would be trapped,the wood couldn't breath always damp= rot.But not sure ,I wouldn't try.

I'm with Caveman on this one. I think it would actually cause more problems. The wood will get wet at some point and this will trap the moisture.

That pond liner material is nothing more than EPDM roofing membrane.The problem lies in the adhesives.As far as I know there is not a "WATERPROOF" adhesive out there for that application.Eventually the glue will fail.
This is one of the "TWO" things I know a lot about.I've been a Roofer for 23years,specializing in single-ply membranes.

Latest posts