Solid Rivets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeanMouth

Reaction score
My Dad is in his late 40's, but hasn't used solid rivets since his days in high school when you used to use a ball peen hammer and another "unknown" tool that was used to reshape the head???

I have a hard time of trying to figure out which exact tools are needed for the job. I can find the solid rivets, but I would really appreciate links to all the products needed to complete the installation by hand?

You will need an air hammer

Rivet set (they come in different sizes for different size head rivets). You will need the rivet set to be the same size as the head of the rivet you use.

A block of solid steel or sledge hammer.

You used to be able to get the rivets and rivet sets at Thermoking trailer. I will see if I can find a place to get them and post.

If I find some I will try to make a video clip and post on here.

grainger has solid rivets but you would have to call them to see if they have the bits.

here is a link to see what the bits look like. They have different sizes.

https://www.aerotools.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=4289

Best thing to do is find a 18 wheeler repair shop near you that works on regular over the road trailers and ask them where you can get buck rivets and rivet sets. You will also need a compressor for the air hammer.

switchback said:
grainger has solid rivets but you would have to call them to see if they have the bits.

here is a link to see what the bits look like. They have different sizes.

https://www.aerotools.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=4289

Best thing to do is find a 18 wheeler repair shop near you that works on regular over the road trailers and ask them where you can get buck rivets and rivet sets. You will also need a compressor for the air hammer.
I guess I'm confused as to why an air hammer and compressor is needed. Isn't there hand tools that get the job done without the compressor or air hammer?

the air hamer works perfect .. iv seen in on yout tube.. and jason i think u can buy it here in harbor freight for . about 50 bucks not even that . . and i would let u borow my compressor it u want. anyways . let me know what u came up with. and if u need still welding done i have a friend whos is doing a great job cheap .. let me know .

rusmir said:
the air hamer works perfect .. iv seen in on yout tube.. and jason i think u can buy it here in harbor freight for . about 50 bucks not even that . . and i would let u borow my compressor it u want. anyways . let me know what u came up with. and if u need still welding done i have a friend whos is doing a great job cheap .. let me know .
Thanks Rusmir, but I just don't justify that money when we can "peen" the rivets. I've read about the process, so now its just practicing a few applications to see how well it goes.

Peening was used before the air guns, so I'm sure a good looking finish is attainable ;)

Yes MeanMouth, if you have a peen hammer, and a sledge, it will work but I'm not speaking from personal experience. Hold the sledge against the inside of the boat against the flat side of the rivet and peen away. I would practice on some scrap first. I suspect it will only take a few whacks until you start getting a good feel for it.

From what I understand, the air chisel and rivet set just make the process that much faster. If you have a dozen or so rivets to do, it would probably be worth the investment in the tooling if you already have a compressor.

This place seems to be a good source for all things rivets and other tinboaters have bought from them.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/rivets.html

Eventually, Bassboy is going to do a write up on all things rivets and it will be on the home page for all to see. I just need to ductape him to a chair and have him start typing. :mrgreen:

like i said u buy it at harbor f. and u can return it and get ur money back . so u know . buy it use it and get ur money back.. works out perfect ;) =D> :---) :oops: :p =D>

Just redid a transom about two months ago... Theres two types of solid rivet Modified Brazier head and Just Brasier head the one i did had modified brazier heads in addition to being hard and soft i recommend soft because the hard were just agrevating to work with. The rivet set, i got came from byler rivet in texas, Mcmaster carr has them but the don't tell which rivet they're for. Honestly i wouldn't do it again unless i had to

Brine said:
Yes MeanMouth, if you have a peen hammer, and a sledge, it will work but I'm not speaking from personal experience. Hold the sledge against the inside of the boat against the flat side of the rivet and peen away. I would practice on some scrap first. I suspect it will only take a few whacks until you start getting a good feel for it.

From what I understand, the air chisel and rivet set just make the process that much faster. If you have a dozen or so rivets to do, it would probably be worth the investment in the tooling if you already have a compressor.

This place seems to be a good source for all things rivets and other tinboaters have bought from them.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/rivets.html

Eventually, Bassboy is going to do a write up on all things rivets and it will be on the home page for all to see. I just need to ductape him to a chair and have him start typing. :mrgreen:
haha! Thanks a lot Brine, you always give good advice it seems. I'll look around at a gun, but I just wanted to avoid that cost for the air hammer. At any rate, can't wait to....eventually......see a write up on rivets! I'll help with the duct tape ;)

Latest posts