Should I or Shlould I not

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BensalemAngler

Reaction score
I will be doing our taxes tonight so some extra money will come my way. I fish eletric lakes and Neshamity River.

BE BRUTALLY HONEST, would this boat be good for me, my wife, and almost 6 year old son?

https://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/Pelican-Intruder-12-Fishing-Boat~63798.html

Thanks for all your advise.

I don't know much about 6 year olds but they grow pretty fast. Seems like you could get a good used bare john boat for that price that would be a bit bigger. But, there is something to be said about buying something new.

Are you going to have to pay the $250.00 in shipping?
Are you planning on putting this in the back of your truck?
Do you already have a trolling motor and batteries?

The $250.00 shipping would deter me.

My reasons for looking at this are: I love in a town house so I have no storage area but for the back yard that I have to carry past and behind 3 houses. It appears to be something I could strap to the top of my wife's Sante Fe.

Who knows maybe I am despriate for a boat... :lol:

Get a john boat with a 20hp and go to Lake Lockamixon!

Personally, I wouldn't want to take a trolling motor/batteries/everything else out of my boat when I'm not using it.

I would suggest a local storage place. Can't be that much to store a boat.

However, for the situation that your in. That boat might not be a bad idea. But you might be able to pick up something close to home with out the $250.00 shipping

Thats a tough call man - your biggest problem is no storage.

I would definitely go for this before I would do one of those little 2 man bass hunter boats. This would really be fine for 2 people, 3s a crowd... but, I think you can make it work with your son since he is nearing 6 years old. This is a good boat to teach boater safety in - because you will definitely not be moving all around that much.

I started off with a 1232 aluminum jon boat which I would pick up and put in the back of my pickup truck. I have one battery and one trolling motor... so that's not a big deal of putting in and taking out... but, if you plan to carry it on top of your wife's Santa Fe, you are looking at the right boat because those aluminum boats are heavy at the end of a long fishing day

I looked quickly at a couple of small boats to compare against your pick. It's interesting that the Pelican had the highest weight capacity which will be more important as time goes on. It has 3 seats but the web site does not give a person capacity. You should check it out because (I assume) the capacities are put there for a reason. I don't know if you can get cited for too many people in the boat, but at least think about that. All three boats have three seats. There are several members here who have these kind of boats. Maybe you should re-title the thread to include the word Pelican to get the attention of these members so hopefully they can weigh in. Seems like the people on this site are predisposed to aluminum boats but this might be the right thing for you. Good luck...

Pelican Intruder12 - 12x?, hull weight 126#, capacity 420#, person capacity ?
Lowe 1232 - 12'x32, hull weight 90#, capacity 295#, person capacity 2
Lowe 1236 - 12'x36", hull weight 140#, capacity 375#, person capacity 3

nbaffaro said:
Get a john boat with a 20hp and go to Lake Lockamixon!

I would suggest a local storage place. Can't be that much to store a boat.

Where I live, in-town storage is about $10 per foot per month. That adds up quickly. I am about to get boat #3 and still haven't quite figured out what to do with #2 until I sell #1. If it weren't for the overhead garage door, some kind of pulley system could be devised to hang the boat above the Santa Fe and then lower it right on top of the car when it's time to go fishing. Storage is a real drag for people in town sometimes. If I had a barn I would probably have way too many boats!

Why not look into a canoe? I had a 16 foot canoe for years. It was very easy to carry down hiking trails to get to spots others types of boats could not. We put it on top of a honda civic with ease. I think the one I had weighed about 60 pounds and could handle about a 700 pound load. Even put a trolling motor on it but it was so easy to paddle by my self with others in the canoe I hardly used the motor. I think this would fit your growing family better then a 12 ft jon boat. For what you are spending on that jon boat you could get a very nice set up in a canoe.

just my thoughts
Damifinow Fish

damifinowfish said:
Why not look into a canoe? I had a 16 foot canoe for years. It was very easy to carry down hiking trails to get to spots others types of boats could not. We put it on top of a honda civic with ease. I think the one I had weighed about 60 pounds and could handle about a 700 pound load. Even put a trolling motor on it but it was so easy to paddle by my self with others in the canoe I hardly used the motor. I think this would fit your growing family better then a 12 ft jon boat. For what you are spending on that jon boat you could get a very nice set up in a canoe.

just my thoughts
Damifinow Fish
I thought about that but I am not sure how stable one is. My son will be 6 and a little squirmy. lol

I just bought a brand new, 2008 1232 Lowe jon boat from a dealer for $665 on clearance list price was $950. It only weighs 90#. I think you should look for a 1236 on clearance since your going to have three people in it. And all you've got to do is buy a clamp on transom wheel and it would be very portable.

You can always rent one (canoe) before you buy one. Some canoes out there are more stable then others. Try to rent the one you think you might like to buy.

I can't believe this but I'm looking at a 12 foot canoe. I wanted a sea kayak but then the dog could not go with me.

Damifinow Fish

i would defentely buy a jon.. dont go to the plastic boat ;) [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-o< [-o<

Thanks for all your comments, but I have wasted your time and I am sorry for that. My wife has to get yet another major surgery at the beginning of Summer, it should be now but with me a a school teacher it is easier in the Summer.

So i will not be getting any boat this year. I could not get one and go out with the boy and leave her all alone. I would feel terrible.

Thanks again, come on Spring and get here!!