14ft jon too small?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty79

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some advice on jon boats. I recently sold a Tracker PT175 because it was too nice and pretty for my use (crappie,shellcracker and catfishing)and I'm now looking for a 14-16 foot, 42 inch or wider jon boat. I'd like to have at least a 25hp tiller steer on it. But my question is, is a 14 footer too small to COMFORTABLY fish 2 people or would I need to go for a 16 footer? Can a 14 footer handle moderately choppy water? It just seems like a nice, clean 14 footer is a lot more common and easier to find on the market than a 15 or 16. I know its all personal preferance but I just need some advice. I'm planning on doing some type of bass boat style conversion when I find the right one. Thanks in advance for your input.

Smitty,

Sounds like you know what you want, but you're just looking for second opinions. My family has a 15' (actually 15 1/2) and it seems like an all around great size; couldn't be happier. We can fish 3 comfortably, or even 2 people with extra gear.

Since you're planning on a conversion project, the larger the better. I think a 14' would be adequate, but most people say go with the biggest that you can afford. (Boat and motor)

We have one lake in Wa state is is notorious for bad weather (Rock Lake, Whitman County) and we've had to sail the sea quite a few times. The flat bottom helps with stability issues, but is much more rough in choppy water. She is still going strong though ;)

All in all, I think you should go ahead and find a common 14' boat for sale in your area. Ask the owner to take it out, or allow him to take you out. You'll know right away if the boat fits within your plans of people, gear, and conversions; this will give you your answer.

I wish you the best of luck, and remember to keep us updated on what you decide!

I have a 1236 that is fine for two people but less so in choppy water. What scares me are the wakes from the big boys - I had one come over the bow last summer. Just yesterday I bought a Tracker 1448 and it seems huge in comparison. One big difference is the 1236 has 15" transom and sides whereas the 1448 has 20" sides and transom. The lakes here are still frozen but I have no doubt my new boat will be fine in the wakes and everything short of a gale. I have to say though one cool thing about the 1236 is that I can float in only a couple of inches of water which I love to do when I'm just looking at the bottom or photographing near the shore or in the lily pads. I understood when I bought the 1236 that it was a fair-weather boat and I have never really tested that theory. Seems a wide 14 footer might be ok...

I just read your post after I had already replied to your PM. Yes, you can fish two comfortably out of a 1448. I say the bigger the better, but you need your boat to match your conditions and budget. If you are going to be in choppy conditions on a regular basis, I would go with a mod-V that carries a little of the V all the way too the stern. A friend and I just spent the last two days in mine running over 60 miles each day. We were scouting for some upcoming redfish tournaments. The wind was horrible and we cross numerous bays and lagoons. Even the bayous 30' wide were rough. We would have ripped the rivets out if we would have been in a flat. My boat is very heavy which helps with the ride. We were able to run wide open the entire time even with a 6"-12" chop in some of the lagoons and not get beat up.

The other good thing is if you get a 14' and you do not like it, you should be able to resell it easily.

Also, go with a 48" wide or wider.

Thanks for your comments guys, I'll let yall know what I find when and if I find what I'm looking for.

I've got a question regarding motor size. I'm wanting a either a Lowe 1648 or a Tracker Grizzly 1648. How well does a 25 horse tiller steer push a boat like this, with decking and anchors and all? I know it won't fly and thats fine with me but I would like to have a little speed. Also, I've never drove a tiller steer, are they fairly easy and comfortable to drive? I like the idea of freeing up a little extra space in the boat since you don't have the console and all, but is a tiller really worth it? Sorry to ramble on, just wanting some input from guys who already own boats like this. Thanks...

well put it this way, my dads friend has a 1448 with a merc 9.8 and it will pull a skier. so if a 9.8 can go fast enough to pull a skier then a 25will push that boat pretty quick. and as for the tiller steer, id say its pretty easy once you gey used to the fact of left is right and right is left wen you are making a turn. and if i were you then i would go with the lowe because i have HEARD that the tracker grizzlies welds arent the best but i cant speak because i have no first hand experience with trackers

smitty79 said:
I've got a question regarding motor size. I'm wanting a either a Lowe 1648 or a Tracker Grizzly 1648. How well does a 25 horse tiller steer push a boat like this, with decking and anchors and all? I know it won't fly and thats fine with me but I would like to have a little speed. Also, I've never drove a tiller steer, are they fairly easy and comfortable to drive? I like the idea of freeing up a little extra space in the boat since you don't have the console and all, but is a tiller really worth it? Sorry to ramble on, just wanting some input from guys who already own boats like this. Thanks...

I prefer a tiller drive for the reasons you mentioned; they do have their downsides tho. Like more weight in the stern of the boat and a lower HP rating for the hull based on USCG calculations. This could, if not trimmed properly or with too many people, make it harder to see to in front of the boat. Learning to drive a tiller is pretty easy, just take it slow the first few times out. Learn to drive it left handed like it is designed to be driven. It is much more difficult to teach yourself to drive left handed AFTER you are comfortable driving right handed.

Like anything else there are tweaks you can do to make it more comfortable, like the amount of turning force needed to turn the motor and the throttle, position of the throttle, shift lever extensions to make shifting easier, hydrofoils and trim (torque) tabs make it seem like you have power steering; just a few things to consider.

Latest posts