Preferance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skoonce

Reaction score
Okay guys, I dont want to start any kind of argument here but I need input from everyone. Im not real experienced when it comes to boats, I just sold my Big Jon with tiller steer due to broken wrist and torn ligaments and Im having to go to a steering wheel. Right now Im looking at a 17' Fisher Mod V with 50hp 4 stroke Mercury. It has a center console and this is where I need your input. I know its mostly just a matter of preferance but what are the advantages/disadvantages of side console vs center console. Thanks

I've never owned one and never driven one but I think I'd like a side console better because if I was trolling I'd be by the side to the boat when I got a fish on. It seems that way it would be easier to control the boat (until I got it in neutral or shut off) and the fish at the same time. Your rod tip would be out farther away from the motor too. It seems that docking would be easier if you were by yourself with a side console.

I've only been in a side console a couple of times and never been in a center console. But if I had to choose I'd proably go with the center console for the fishing room on both sides. My buddy that has the side console says he wish he would've gotten a center console instead. Just weigh your options, fishing room on both sides of the console or more room to walk beside the console.

They are both good designs. The side console gives you a little more open floor space, but the center console allows you to walk around the whole boat. The center console will sit flatter in the water when you run by yourself, whereas the side console will lean a bit when you are by yourself. It's just a matter of preference.

I wanted a center console.
My wife wanted a side console.

We have a side console.

I like both. Going from a tiller to any type of steering is going to be good much easier to control the boat.

I like center consoles becasue you can move around the entire edege of the boat. But with that being said, my side console doesn't take up much space. I think the seating arrangements on a side console are a bit better for everyone but the driver. I like to stand up and drive but I can't do that with our boat.

Just personal preferance really.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I hope a swift recovery for you.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what are your plans on the water with one good hand?

If you fish a lot by yourself I think a center console would be better because your weight would be more centerd. conversly if you usually fish with a buddy the side console would distribute the weight better. The nice part with a side console is it's easier to wire new stuff in like Fish finder, etc because you can runn all the wiring along the wall rather than under the floor

Good question. The reason I like tiller drive is because of all the room it opens up in the boat; but being in your situation that's not an option.

The thing about consoles is this: They are nice while underway, but in the way the rest of the time! My buddies 18 foot Panga is center console, stand up. Great while we are underway, but a pain in the neck to cast around and walk around. There is lots of storage under the console tho, which is nice.

The side console option is nicer to fish over, especially if you do a lot of casting, but not as nice while underway. I see many people sitting on top of the back of their seats while underway to gain a little elevation for better visuals.

In the Panga we mostly sit and fish, troll or jig, we are crappie fishing mostly. So the center console works pretty well. I like the center console for trolling better as we can have rods on both side of the boat and get to them easy while standing at the helm the few times we run the big motor while trolling that is; mostly we run the trolling motor while trolling tho.

If I were casting heavy cranks, spinners and worms all day like bass fisherman do I think the lower profile side console would be better.

So my preference break down this way:
If I fished big open water lakes with long run times between holes I would want a side console, especially if I were doing a lot of casting.
For big water, ocean, bays or in an area like tight stump infested rivers where visual references are paramount I want a stand up center console. Especially if I were not casting a lot. I would also want a center console for heavy seas; it is easier for me to absorb the shock with my knees than while sitting.

But mostly it's preference, my buddy Danny says he lives in Texas, where the trucks are 4 x 4 and the boats have center consoles! :)

If your boat is less then 60" at the floor go with a side console. The console is gonna be around 24" wide or wider. If you boat is 60 wide at the floor this will only leave you 18" on either side to navigate around it. That's not too bad. But less than that can get a bit tricky when you are trying to land a fish of size who isn't cooperating. I am a big fan of center consoles in wide body boats. That being said I won one with a side console. Would love to convert it but it is a 48" bottom.

jasper60103 said:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I hope a swift recovery for you.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what are your plans on the water with one good hand?

2006 I tore some ligaments. 3 yrs and 5 surgeries later Im actually probably as close to normal as Ill get. Ended up with a fused wrist ( which prevents me from using a tiller steer) Now I have torn tendons in my left elbow due to my left arm having to pull the weight for my right arm. Really hurts to use a tiller steer with this arm. As a paramedic, I dont get much time to let it heal so I eat tylenol, advil go home load up my 10 yr old son and keep on keeping on. A friend has offered to sell me his boat at a pretty good deal. A 2003 Fisher 1754cc w 4 stroke 50 horse bigfoot motor. Very very limited time on the water and not a scratch on it. Just needed some honest opinions on a center console and I knew I could count on this forum. Thanks for the input. Im trying it out on Weiss in the morning....

Latest posts