Hinges

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman138

Reaction score
How are you guys attaching your hinges for your compartments? Any pics would be great. Also, are yall mostly using piano hinges? Thanks

I used piano hinges on mine, wish I could have hidden them, but the framing below the deck made it tough to mount them on the inside.

Link to my mod. Not any close ups but at least you can see them in a few. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12245

cavman138 said:
Did you just screw straight into the side of the plywood? This is what I want to do but was worried about the plywood separating when I screw into it.

Good question. Take a look at this 1436 G3 I did for someone last summer. The customer didn't want to spend the money on aluminum (darn #-o ), so I had to use wood. I biscuited a piece of quarter sawn lumber to the edge of the hatch lid, and to the deck it mounted too, to give solid bite to the hinge screws. Multiple biscuits, coupled with liberal usage of Titebond III makes a very sturdy frame.
https://shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,528,00.html
Only thing I would have done different is to run a frame all the way around the hatch, using a mortise and tenon at each corner. Really not needed, but I do like to overbuild things, especially when little if any weight is added.

I just screwed right into the wood. I guess time will tell if that was a good idea or not but so far so good. There's like a million screws in each hinge so I don't think it will be a problem.

Worst case if I have problems I'll just use larger screws and some glue.

Yes aluminum and pre-drilled. If I remember correctly I bought 4 or 6 foot hinges and cut them down to size.

Use a pre drilled S/Steel hinge. Lay it ou where you want it, and drill PILOT HOLES, then screw it... No splitting that way. Pilot holes don't need to be very big... hope this helps.... :)

Nussy said:
Yes aluminum and pre-drilled. If I remember correctly I bought 4 or 6 foot hinges and cut them down to size.

I would like to use predrilled, but want it on 2" centers. I can only seem to find 4" centers.

eez I agree pilot holes are the way to go

Ok, I'd really like.. to see some other pictures. I have had a few people tell me that drilling into the sides of the plywood is a bad idea, but I don't want to see the hinge on the top of the boat. This seems like the best way, but worried about the strength of the plywood by drilling into the sides.

Help please

these were on my old boat... I haven't got that far on the boat I'm working on right now -- but I will have more pics next week. I used rivets to go into the aluminum with, and used the longest screw I could get away with (fine thread) without going through the top of the board. this was done about 2 years ago, and the guy who has it now hasn't done anything to it so they are still holding

DSCF0231.jpg

I don't think you have too many options unless you can find an L shaped hinge. I have them in a couple areas on the boat I'm modding now but they came with the boat. Even with the L Shape the holes on mine are still cut to screw into the edge of the wood. I would just use the piano hinge like I posted earlier and not worry about it so much.

russ010 said:
these were on my old boat... I haven't got that far on the boat I'm working on right now -- but I will have more pics next week. I used rivets to go into the aluminum with, and used the longest screw I could get away with (fine thread) without going through the top of the board. this was done about 2 years ago, and the guy who has it now hasn't done anything to it so they are still holding

DSCF0231.jpg

Thanks Russ, that looks like the best way to go.

dyeguy1212 said:
Sorry, can't predict the future. You're just going to have to try it, and go from there. Theres really no magic answer anyone can give you.

look man I just figured plenty of people on here have put hinges in their boats and I'm not trying to run into any problems.

Take note the difference in Russ and Nussy's doors. Nussy's has a larger range of travel. (They open more than 90*)

Your concern about drilling into the side of plywood was addressed by bassboy earlier in the post and in my opinion is the best way to do it.

mine would have went further back, but I connected the bottom piece that is riveted to the actual bench top. When you open it up, the back of the lid hit the top of the bench and stopped it there which is what i wanted.

Latest posts