Flat bottom or V bottom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twds

Reaction score
Flat bottom or V bottom? I have a couple of small flat bottom boats now, but thinking of getting a 14 or 16 foot boat and doing a conversion. Not planning on putting a large motor, if any at first other than a trolling motor. I don't fish real large lakes. I was wondering what others would advise?

twds said:
Flat bottom or V bottom? I have a couple of small flat bottom boats now, but thinking of getting a 14 or 16 foot boat and doing a conversion. Not planning on putting a large motor, if any at first other than a trolling motor. I don't fish real large lakes. I was wondering what others would advise?
I think the choice of hull really depends on your fishing preferences. I have no personal issue with a flat bottom on a rough lake, but other people might have their reasons why they prefer a v-hull.

Stability should be your main concern when doing a conversion. If you prefer the v-hull for looks or ease of rough waters, then just make sure to build accordingly.

Since you have a couple flat bottoms already, I would seriously be tempted to try your first project out on one of them, and use that boat as a deciding factor.

If you aren't satisfied, put it in the paper and use that money for a v-hull, but if you end up liking it, you've got a nice, customized rig that will hopefully make you proud.

What Mean Mouth said. I use my boat primarily on small inland lakes, protected rivers and backwater; so a flatbottom makes the most sense for me. The few times I have been caught in big water required every ounce of concentration I could muster, but I made it through okay. Flat bottoms get wet but that's what they make rain gear for! The being rough part doesn't bother me at all, I can slow down if I need to, but I don't usually NEED to (unless my Wife is with me).

But I hafta say I really like the look of the skiff style vee's, like the Sea Nymph and Pangas, they have very nice lines.

I would try and snag a 16 footer,in boars bigger is usually better. And shoot for a V or a flat with a mod v. My 17' Alumacraft MV has worked out great, that being said I have done pleny fo fishing out of a lone star semi-v. Happy hunting and good luck.

Latest posts