Why you don't use treated lumber on an aluminum boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
Started my boat mod, which unfortunately must begin with tearing out the last guy's stuff. There's always talk on tinboats about not using treated lumber, because it causes pitting in the aluminum. Most people listen, some don't.

The guy who put the decks on my boat, didn't check tinboats first [-X

Wanted to post up to prove that yes, it will happen. Not much, because the decks were only on a few years, but it could have been a lot worse... the exposed aluminum looks like a golf ball..

Attachments

• IMAG0285.JPG
    IMAG0285.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 982
o wow ****. i guess i was lucky the guy i got my boat tonight didnt use trated lumber just regular oak

Wow, proof enough! Guess I'll direct all questions about treated wood to this thread. Thanks for the heads up DyeGuy.

rusmir said:
what exsactly could happen if u leave it like that how bad can the damadge be
Fred-Flintstone-Barney-Rubble-Car.jpg

Just wondering if Treated wood would be ok if the contacted was limited to 1/8 alum frameing or wrapped with carpet to prevent actual contact with the boat . How long would it take to effect the structral intergiry of 1/8 alum angle or channel?

bucktaker said:
Just wondering if Treated wood would be ok if the contacted was limited to 1/8 alum frameing or wrapped with carpet to prevent actual contact with the boat . How long would it take to effect the structral intergiry of 1/8 alum angle or channel?
It would/could probably start right away. Structural integrity would be a hard guestimate.

bucktaker said:

Because of the metals used in the treated wood you take the chance that water might carry the bad stuff to the boat - even absent direct contact

Captain Ahab said:
bucktaker said:

Because of the metals used in the treated wood you take the chance that water might carry the bad stuff to the boat - even absent direct contact

Great point

Latest posts