Simple painting steps, is there a way to do a decent job?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Reaction score
Close to Lake George, NY , Saratoga Lake.
I found these instructions on a previous post, is that a viable option.I like to do a simple cleanup, repaint on an otherwise fairly good tinboat, I dont want to get into steelflex etc, just sand, prep,paint etc. is there a simplified version of painting. Thanks

Steps to Painting an aluminum boat:

1. Clean the boat thoroughly with just a simple wash. Wipe the boat down with either mineral spirits or Pettit 120 Thinner.
2. Rough sand the boat with 120 Grit paper just to scuff the boat a little so that the paint will adhere better.
3. Wipe again with mineral spirits or 120 thinner to get all dust off of the boat
4. Make sure to wear a mask while sanding - ALUMINUM is very dangerous to breathe.
5. If there is any bare aluminum showing is the Pettit 6455-044 primer for the bare spots only. The actual paint will stick to the old paint no problem. This comes in a quart and plastic bottle combo pack.
6. WAIT at least 2-4 hours
7. Use the Pettit Coat EZ POXY paint which comes in about 12 colors to paint the boat. The rep said it would be no problem to roll it on, but have someone come behind you with a china bristle bush and going with the length of the boat, use long finishing strokes as it will make the boat look awesome.
8. For a 14' boat he told me I would need two quarts. Use the site as a bearing for your project and call them for specifics.
9. Let that completely dry and then come back with a light 240 grit sand job to get out all of the imperfections.
10. Make sure to get all of the dust off and repaint and let set for 3-4 days.

this si exactly what i was going to do! Except the paint rep told me to use 150 grit sandpaper, i dont know which is better...

dixie_boysles said:
this si exactly what i was going to do! Except the paint rep told me to use 150 grit sandpaper, i dont know which is better...
I was going to wash after sanding to get rid of dust and stuff, and then dry and then wipe down with some sort of degreaser before paint. What should i do? I pressure washed it not long ago, but didnt wash it before i started. It was mostly clean. Is it ok for me to wash it after i sand it and then wipe down in degreaser?

after you sand'r down dont wipe it with degreaser, use mineral spirits or aceton (sp?)

the grit really isnt a big deal. If the paint is on there thick use a heavyer grit, then re-sand with some lighter paper to get the scuff marks out

Loggerhead Mike said:
after you sand'r down dont wipe it with degreaser, use mineral spirits or aceton (sp?)

the grit really isnt a big deal. If the paint is on there thick use a heavyer grit, then re-sand with some lighter paper to get the scuff marks out

thanks that helps

Latest posts