Weight Distribution ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rellis1962

Reaction score
While planning the mods for my boat, I started to think more and more about weight distribution in relation to handling. If my thinking is correct, the motor basically pushes the stern around - forward right or left. Seems that the more weight you have in the in the stern, the more sluggish the steering would be. Also, more weight in the bow would create the need for more torque to swing the bow around especially if you are using a bow mount trolling motor but the more weight you have in the front the further forward the pivot point moves resulting in the need for less turning force from the stern(motor). So, where should the bulk of the added weight go? At the pivot point? If the pivot point is the best place, how do I determine where the pivot point is located? The pivot point will be a moving target which will depend on how the weight is distributed. Am I totally off base?

You want the weight evenly distrubitued from the front to the back.

You, are probably going to be the heaviest part of the boat. When you get up and move your going to change the dynamic of the boat.

Behind the splash line. This will ensure that you get on plane easier. I would keep it evenly distributed in this area.

My pivot point / splash line is about 10" forward of the transom so I would need to haul all of my gear in another boat behind me. :mrgreen:

Weight distribution is a balancing act between planing speed and boat attitude on plane. You have to figure in hull design and power, too.

Crisp steering doesn't really figure into it a whole lot as most boats are driven into gradual turns and don't handle like a sports car anyway.

Latest posts