16' 1963 Starcraft ???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

authentic

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to check out this boat tomorrow. I know nothing about them and have always only been looking at jon boats, so this is a new venture for me. I know there are different versions, but I'd just like some input from what you can tell from the picture. it comes w/a 42 lb thrust autopilot TM, trailer & 40 HP Johnson that needs a gear replaced in the lower unit, and something with the clutch.

-I'd really like to see some better pictures of one, so I could get an idea of what I could do with it.
-what could I be looking at, expense wise on fixing the outboard? I've never owned an outboard before, so I have no idea what I cold be looking at expense wise.
-How would it be stability wise, compared to my 1432 jon boat?
-How's $600 sound for a deal on all that?

Attachments

• 3kc3p93oa5O75P45R2a2p87aac3aa566113c8.jpg
    3kc3p93oa5O75P45R2a2p87aac3aa566113c8.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 639
Hey i have a 18 ft smokeecraft and that thing is like a tank on the water i like it its deep and comertable and safe . Anyways id look into it i also have a jon boat havent tried it yet on the water but personally i think my smokercraft is better . Thats a good deal ur looking at ,

Yea, I can't see too much from the pic, but I do have a 16' semi V
and enjoy it very much. You shouldn't have any trouble standing
in that boat.
It will take a little more motor than your 1432.
That said, it doesn't sound like the motor is
in good shape. I would plan on a new lower unit at least or
expect to replace the entire motor. From the color, it looks like it could be a
1960s Johnson. The only problem with older motors is no shop wants
to work on them. So you would have to do it yourself,
or find a hobby mechanic.

Anyway, if the boat and trailer are in good shape $600 is not a bad deal.
Of course, mention the motor is an expensive repair and see what
that gets ya. Good luck.

jasper

Around here where im at the boat will run aprox 800 just boat and trailer so pick ip a cheap motor of craigs and ur good to go . Try giving him 500 cash and make sure he sees the money he will take it 4 sure ;)

If the boat and trailer are in good shape that's a good deal. I wouldn't hesitate too much if the outboard motor has some minor issues. If the TM is working then it's definitely a good deal. Stability will be good compared to a 1432 flat jon.

I'm having second thoughts on this. I don't think it would be a great replacement of the 1432 as a pond hopper, since some of the lakes I plan on fishing I'll have to carry the boat down to the water.

I'm looking for a little wider boat that would replace the 1432 and a bigger boat for some of the bigger lakes, fish w/several other guys, and still go in some of the more shallow sandhill pike lakes around here. This one seems not fit either of those categories. I just got interested when I saw the low price. I suppose at that price, if it's in good shape, I could just resell. Think I may need to do a little research, to see what similar stuff is selling for around here.

On a side note, I think I may have found the big boat that would fit my needs. Found a 2001 Alumacraft all-welded 1860 mod-v w/console w/trailer. Comes w/a 2001 90hp Johnson that is torn apart. Not really sure about the motor, but that boat is about what I've been dreaming about, and it's always been out of my price range. I'm calling at lunch to find out more about the boat and motor.

If the motor is beyond my capabilities to fix, how difficult would it be to put a different used motor on and connect to the steering and everything?

Latest posts