What kind of plywood?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a professional boat builder, but I think it stands to reason that marine grade ply would be the best to use. It can be hard to find and a bit pricey, but seems like the natural solution. I've seen what happens to regular ply when exposed to water and it doesn't last long at all before it delaminates. The adhesives in marine ply are not water soluable as are many of the ones used in regular ply.

I did mine in 3/4" exterior grade plywood. I probably could have used 5/8" or even 1/2" and been fine.

I'm using 19/32" exterior grade ply wood... it will last if you prep it right. Put a coat of thompsons water seal, or a few coats of exterior deck paint (that's what I do) and you'll be fine.

russ010 said:
I'm using 19/32" exterior grade ply wood... it will last if you prep it right. Put a coat of thompsons water seal, or a few coats of exterior deck paint (that's what I do) and you'll be fine.

Any kind of deck paint should work right? As long as it is oil based?

I'll look and see what that is I've got at the house... I don't remember if it's oil based or not - for some reason I'm thinking it's not, but I could be wrong.

russ010 said:
I'll look and see what that is I've got at the house... I don't remember if it's oil based or not - for some reason I'm thinking it's not, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Man. I am to the point that I need to seal my decks and I want to do it right.