sanding ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyt

Reaction score
I want to start sanding my boat, due to my work schedule I will only have about an hour a day. It is supposed to rain/snow this Wed, I don't have a garage to work in. I also don't know a lot about metals, will the exposed aluminum oxidize quickly? Is there anything I can apply ( oils ) to keep it from rusting? Thanks

Your aluminum will not rust, although it will oxidize but not all that fast. Depends on how long it will take you to sand it. I would sand the whole boat, and just before I got ready for primer, wipe the entire boat hull down with a good aluminum prep, some folks use vinegar, haven't ever tried it, but its cheap. Then get a good coat of primer over the entire surface, should seal it off good then you can worry about painting when you get time.

jeremyt said:
I want to start sanding my boat, due to my work schedule I will only have about an hour a day. It is supposed to rain/snow this Wed, I don't have a garage to work in. I also don't know a lot about metals, will the exposed aluminum oxidize quickly? Is there anything I can apply ( oils ) to keep it from rusting? Thanks
From what I've read, aluminum oxidizes after contact with air. Water or a damp environment would surely speed up the process.

Aluminum doesn't rust like iron. Personally, I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to the ability of working inside a shop (have to work outside).

When I get ready to sand, prime, and paint, I'll wait for a good 2 or 3 days of dry weather. Sand on the first day, Prime on the second, and apply the final topcoat.

Not only will the dry days help you in preparing the boat, but the dry weather will also help the paint cure. Avoid wet weather if you can, or you might find yourself having to redo the boat sooner than you would like.

Just my $.02

Latest posts