Need a paint-safe hull cleaner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
As soon as it gets warm enough, I'll be camoing my boat. The previous owner left it in a nasty-*** lake, and mussels and grime were covering the boat. I got all the foreign invaders off, but haven't found anything to get the grime off. Its white and chalky, and pretty rough. I've searched around and found plenty of hull cleaners, but I need one thats safe for paint. Most are for fiberglass of bare aluminum, and I've struggled to find something. I really need to get this thing clean, because I'm sure the textured bottom isn't helping fuel economy.

I've tried bleach and some other household cleaners, with no progress other than chipped paint. Anyone have experience with something that works?

Attachments

• IMAG0003.JPG
    IMAG0003.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 463
  • IMAG0004.JPG
    IMAG0004.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 463
see if you can find this stuff called Spray 9 - it's in a green bottle, but they make a marine solution that's in a white bottle. If that won't take it off, just go ahead and start sanding before you paint....

That paint may be too stained to clean. I would probably just hit it with the sandpaper and paint over it.

Those bunks don't look too bad. Better long than short.

Your bow stop / winch mount didn't shift forward on the trailer, did it?

dyeguy1212 said:
Looks like I'd have to order it online, as there are no dealers around me. But if it works, its worth it.

The walmart near me actually carries the marine stuff over in the marine section...

The first place I ever used it was at my uncle's auto body shop in Kentucky... they had it on the shelves in the Auto stores. I bought a Ford Explorer up there and the guy who owned it was a tobacco inspector. I bet I pulled up an inch of wet tobacco off the floors and it stunk to high heaven. He gave me a bottle of that and a scrub brush and said it would clean it up... 2 days later I was done and it looked like brand new carpet. It's what I use now to clean carpet stains in my vehicles and what I clean my tires with when I'm washing the truck... amazing stuff

Quackrstackr said:
That paint may be too stained to clean. I would probably just hit it with the sandpaper and paint over it.

Probably did. Theres no other explanation for it. The whole trailer needs an overhaul. I plan to get it to the point of making it through the summer, and I'll buy a new or new used one this winter.

I really don't think its too stained. If anything, its not even stains, its growth.

russ010 said:
dyeguy1212 said:
Looks like I'd have to order it online, as there are no dealers around me. But if it works, its worth it.

The walmart near me actually carries the marine stuff over in the marine section...

The first place I ever used it was at my uncle's auto body shop in Kentucky... they had it on the shelves in the Auto stores. I bought a Ford Explorer up there and the guy who owned it was a tobacco inspector. I bet I pulled up an inch of wet tobacco off the floors and it stunk to high heaven. He gave me a bottle of that and a scrub brush and said it would clean it up... 2 days later I was done and it looked like brand new carpet. It's what I use now to clean carpet stains in my vehicles and what I clean my tires with when I'm washing the truck... amazing stuff

I've found it pretty cheap online, but I'll probably go with their bottom cleaner version if I do order it. Got some pretty good reviews, and its relatively cheap.

dyeguy1212 said:
Quackrstackr said:

Probably did. Theres no other explanation for it. The whole trailer needs an overhaul. I plan to get it to the point of making it through the summer, and I'll buy a new or new used one this winter.

I really don't think its too stained. If anything, its not even stains, its growth.
I know you're planning an overhaul/new trailer, but make sure to check that bow stop before going out this year! I would hate to hear of any misfortune regarding your boat DyeGuy!

if u have a home depot near you. you can check with them on a product called DUKE or "the DUKE". DUCAN IND... it is completely non toxic,biodegradeable and will clean any sludge or grease from anything without harming it. this stuff is great believe me i know... and its like not even $5 for a 2.5 litre jug that you would dilute 50/50 water. this is pressure washer shafe blah blah...
Ihave used it for years and it makes everything look new again.
it is manufactured in my city....
have a look....
https://www.ducan.com/products_L.php?cat=aak
the thinner works great too, but the cleaner is what i'm talkin about
:D

Latest posts