question about carpeting deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmandan

Reaction score
first time writing anything.hope it works and in right place.using ThompsonsWaterseal on decking,will gleu for carpet stick to it good or have to use special kind of glue.

I would think that it would adhere to it fine... what you might want to do is kinda scratch the wood a little , then spread the glue around. It will still have the moisture barrier as long as you don't go all the way through the seal. The glue will act as a water barrier as well, but scratching it up a little will let the glue get down into the scratches and get better adhesion. The other thing you can do if you don't want to rought it up a little is to just staple it around the edges. As long as you don't use too many staples, you'll never see them. Buck them with a hammer after you staple and the carpet should hide it pretty well.

welcome to your new obsession... this site is hard to get off once you get on

Welcome aboard!

I recommend outdoor carpet glue. I've used the 3M spray adhesive and DAP/Weldwood contact Cement and the Outdoor carpet glue works the best. Use use a trowel to apply it with a really small tooth.

i have found that the 3m77 spray glue i think it is called, or 3m something(black can with some red writing) works extremly well. that is what we used on my buddies boat, and that was almost 3 years ago and it has held just fine and he keeps his boat outside most of the time without a cover. and we just staples the edges on the bottom side just for a little extra stay power

I've tried the spray glue, contact cement,and the best thing I found is outdoor carpet glue applied with a trowel. No probles over water sealer.

Do you guys carpet the deck and then put screw the deck in? Or do you attach the deck and then carpet it? I want the carpet to wrap around the edges of the plywood and I want the deck to fit really snug. Can you carpet it then attach the deck with screws and will the screw bury themselves through the carpet so they are unseen?

sorry for all the questions

cavman138 said:
Do you guys carpet the deck and then put screw the deck in? Or do you attach the deck and then carpet it? I want the carpet to wrap around the edges of the plywood and I want the deck to fit really snug. Can you carpet it then attach the deck with screws and will the screw bury themselves through the carpet so they are unseen?

A staple gun is usually used to reinforce the glue...plus they hide much better than screws or nails.

cavman138 said:

If you want it to wrap around its almost impossible not to put screws throught the carpeted floor. I dont really see anyway around it. Unless you used some kind of velcro product. I wonder if the velcro would be strong enough?

Froggy said:
No, carpet first then screw on, with the right torque, the screw head will bury pretty good, ++1 on 3M, Welcome to the site.

thats what I was assuming would be the best way to go. I figured the screws would bury right in. Thanks Froggy

Latest posts