another project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shfishinsticks

Reaction score
After rebuilding 3 boats, I vowed I'd never get another project boat. I lied.......I bought another one on Tuesday. Just couldn't pass it up......I tried......honest......I did. Gonna pick it up on Saturday. It's a Tracker Guide V-16 tiller with a 9.9 Merc. The transom and floor were recently replaced....with treated wood. The transom is starting to pit.....there's a couple holes already formed. First order of business.....rip out the treated wood.......Second, dump the Merc! I'll post some pics when I get it.

Picked it up today. Already sold the Merc.

Here's a few pics.
DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

No.....I didn't pay extra for the snow.
DSCF0005.jpg

Holes in the transom.
DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Great boat i like how its set up. . Post more pics of the work and when u rip out the wood =D>

That boat looks like its fairly recent,why would the transom corrode like that not that its unfixable just curious for the reason of that pitting

Mike Redmond said:
That boat looks like its fairly recent,why would the transom corrode like that not that its unfixable just curious for the reason of that pitting

Pressure treated wood in the transom. My guess is the boat manufactures missed the memo that pressure treated wood recently was changed, and is now copper impregnated. Copper and aluminum are dissimilar, and the marine environment just speeds up the corrosion. Same thing happened to another member (can't remember who), not that long ago. He had a nearly new Lowe, and started seeing pinholes in the transom. His boat was used in saltwater, which is why the corrosion appeared so quickly.

Plans for the boat are:
Replace all the wood.
Extend the front deck about 18"
Extend the rear deck about 12"
Storage under the new decks
Make the rod lockers rod friendly.
remove all stickers
paint
new bilge pump
install recirculating pump in livewell
new switch panel and all wiring.
bow mount trolling motor.

Trailer plans:
PAINT
new bearings & tires
New wires
LED lights
new winch
new safety chains

Here's an interesting article on pressure treated wood. A guy from another forum posted it.

The New Pressure-Treated Wood
Less arsenic more copper since 2004:

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/new-pressure-treated-wood-decks.aspx

The most important clip from that article in relation to tin boats.

Perhaps the most important point to keep in mind relating to copper-based wood treatments and galvanic corrosion is to avoid aluminum altogether. Aluminum corrodes quickly in the presence of high copper concentrations.

Removing the transom proved more difficult than I anticipated. It seems that the treated wood swelled after being installed. That, coupled with the packed-in aluminum power from the deterioration of the transom made it very tight. Tried installing a hook in one side to pry it out....didn't work. Then the other side....didn't work. Screwed a couple 2x4's to the transom and tried to beat it out with a sledge hammer......FAIL. While walking through the woods at work the other day, it came to me. I'll jack it out. Don't know why random thoughts like that pop into my head, but they do.

So, on Saturday, I tested my theory and it worked! Here's a few pics.

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Out in one piece. Now I have a template for the new one.
13.jpg