Foam Insulation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workdawg

Reaction score
I will be starting my boat conversion soon and I was wondering where do you get and what type of foam insulation do you add to your boats for extra floatation.

See alot of guys on here use the pink foam that you can pick up at lowes, home depot, etc. Don't have any in my rig yet, but I from everything I've read I believe you want to use "closed cell" foam so it does not soak up water.

make sure u use the marine foam.. i used the fro lowes and not big a fan of it. u should use the pink stuff or the regullar styrofoam and cut it they way u want it. thats what i would do .

Do a search for "flotation foam". There was a thread a few days back that had some good links to 2 part foam. The 2 part is Coast Gard approved, the pink isn't.

The blue foam board will not hold water as it is closed cell.
Not sure about the pink,But Lowe's/HD doesn't sale the blue nor do they have 1.5" thick as that was what my ribbs were.
Had to get at builders supply place.The blue is much denser

I'm using the pink foam and spray can on my project. hd pink foam was about 15bucks and the can was about 4bucks.
I'm filling the open space as much as I can with the pink and then spraying in to tighten everything and fill the voids.
I'm on my fourth can and have more to cavities to fill.

Damifinowfish

heres where i got mine https://www.energyefficientsolutions.com/foamproducts.asp

caveman said:
The blue foam board will not hold water as it is closed cell.
Not sure about the pink,But Lowe's/HD doesn't sale the blue nor do they have 1.5" thick as that was what my ribbs were.
Had to get at builders supply place.The blue is much denser
My local lowes carries blue foam, which is closed cell. Use it if you can.

Latest posts