Gas Tank in the Front??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVOMike86

Reaction score
I've got a 14ft PolarKraft, and was wondering if you can put a tank in the front of the boat. When designing my aluminum bracing, I wanted to keep the decks pretty low and didn't really think about the height requirements of the gas tank. Now, everything is welded in, and the only storage I have that's big enought is in the front of the boat. I haven't done any searches on it, but my main concern is will the fuel pump on the motor pump the gas roughly 10 ft as opposed to say, 3, if it were in the back? Thanks for the input guys. Oh, and you can see some pics on my conversion under "Project Overkill" in the conversions section.

It can be done with little problem. It is done all the time on shallow water duck boats.

The only issue that you may have is too much weight in the bow once you relocate it, depending on how big the tank is.

I have a 12 gallon tank under the front deck of my 1436.
It helps balance out the 25hp motor on the back.

It shouldn't make any difference so I would put it wherever is most convenient.

Run 1/4" fuel line.

On priming: you may need to use shop air to get it primed the first time, then don't let it run out of fuel! The bulb has relatively low volume so it will take forever to get the fuel aft of the boat; however, it can be done. Put the bulb close to the tank, that's where the check valve is, not the motor. It will be fine running with that long fuel line as long as you do everything like you normally would.

Problems with placing the tank up front are these:
1) You loose weight as you use fuel which will effect the bow height while on plane or getting on plane
2) in heavy chop the bow takes a beating, which means the tank takes a beating. This could stir up sediment and clog your fuel filter, or cause foaming in the fuel tank which could vapor lock (foam lock) your fuel system.

The likely hood of either of these occurring is pretty slim. But if it does happen you need to be aware of what is going on to get it corrected. A dead boat and heavy seas (even in a lake) is not a good place to be.

Tell that to the dozens of other people that I know that are running 1/4"

You could run a 2" fuel line and it wouldn't help you if the fittings on either end of a line are only 1/4" id.

I have the bulb at the rear of the boat and I use 3/8 fuel line. That's what size the fittings are. I bought the fuel line on Ebay. 25' roll with shipping was less then buying 14' from the auto parts store.

I appreciate all the input guys. Now on to finding a suitable tank, the companies I've called don't sell to individuals, only to other companies, so the search is on.

*MOST* fuel line kits that you buy are 5/16". You know he ones that have the hose, bulb and fittings...Just FYI

SVOMike86 said:
I appreciate all the input guys. Now on to finding a suitable tank, the companies I've called don't sell to individuals, only to other companies, so the search is on.
I bought my tank at Cabelas. They sell two different 12gal tanks, I went with the shorter model so I could keep the front deck lower.

Hey Lock, you have any idea how tall that shorter tank is? I don't normally shop thru cabela's, but that may be the ticket...

SVOMike86 said:
Hey Lock, you have any idea how tall that shorter tank is? I don't normally shop thru cabela's, but that may be the ticket...
I have the Moeller model 500 that's 11.5" tall. I have it under a small deck just 39" long. I just looked at them they have taken a big jump up in price now $71. I bought mine on sale last year for less then $50.

Hmmm... I have to re-look at mine, but my deck is shallower so I may have to get something as low as 10". The nice plastic tanks are easy to get that shallow, but you have to add 2 1/2" for the fill neck, plus, they are expensive. I may just have to deal with a 3 1/2 gallon... We'll see...

SVOMike86 said:
Hmmm... I have to re-look at mine, but my deck is shallower so I may have to get something as low as 10". The nice plastic tanks are easy to get that shallow, but you have to add 2 1/2" for the fill neck, plus, they are expensive. I may just have to deal with a 3 1/2 gallon... We'll see...
I wonder, if you did decide to go with a 3 1/2 gallon due to height restrictions, what about a second in the boat which could possible sit right next to the active gas tank? That way, you get the max height along with a 7 gallon total?

I built the frame work for my deck from 2x3's it gives just enough room for the filler neck to clear the decking. Have you considered the 9 gallon tank.

Dual tanks would be a good idea, as long as priming wasn't too bad of an issue. And Lock, I haven't seen the 9 gallon tanks, but I'll try to look them up today to get specs. I really wish I would have thought about this dang tank before I welded anything in place...

Latest posts