USCG sticker?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pruitt1222

Reaction score
So after work today I looked at my boat to find out what size of engine it will hold and low and behold there is no sticker? Does any one know where I can get one of these or a place to find the specs?

Are there any laws saying I need the sticker? I think I found all the info I need in a blue book guide. I think it was on the old transom that I pulled out and threw away with out thinking about it. So heres another little question retaining to info from the blue book. I just bought a 25 hp johnson today from a coworker with the intent to put on this boat, blue book says its rated up to 20hp. Would it be ok to run it any way?

You're best off checking KY's laws. I can't remember exactly, but some states just leave it to the discretion of the officer, coastie, etc.

If its not grossly overpowered, and you act responsible on the water, you don't have much to worry about. I don't think anyone has ever had their sticker checked. The gov is more worried about PDFs and registration.

dyeguy1212 said:
You're best off checking KY's laws. I can't remember exactly, but some states just leave it to the discretion of the officer, coastie, etc.

If its not grossly overpowered, and you act responsible on the water, you don't have much to worry about. I don't think anyone has ever had their sticker checked. The gov is more worried about PDFs and registration.
DyeGuy is correct, you should check your state laws.

Most likely, the only real problem you'll run into is if you have the boat insured, because just like automobiles, upgrades and equipment still need to be within a certain guideline to be appropriate for coverage.

-So check your state laws, if nothing, then go ahead with the upgrade.
-Make sure to check with your insurance (if you have coverage on the boat) just to make sure you won't be held liable for any damage done to your boat or others just in case of an accident.

for every boat I have ever owned, I just sent a nice email to the company and each time I have received a brand new sticker from them.

theres a website somewhere where you can fill the stuff in and order directly from them... I thought it was on here where I saw it, but I can't find it for the life of me

just read the rest of the posts.... the game warden is the only person I know of that will check it.... but that's only if you have a small boat with a lot of people in it - and he might not do it then

russ010 said:
for every boat I have ever owned, I just sent a nice email to the company and each time I have received a brand new sticker from them.

theres a website somewhere where you can fill the stuff in and order directly from them... I thought it was on here where I saw it, but I can't find it for the life of me

just read the rest of the posts.... the game warden is the only person I know of that will check it.... but that's only if you have a small boat with a lot of people in it - and he might not do it then

If you come across the site, let me know. I'm about to justify adding a 150 HP with a few key strokes :wink:

dyeguy1212 said:
russ010 said:

If you come across the site, let me know. I'm about to justify adding a 150 HP with a few key strokes :wink:
Jon Boat Hydroplane race...nice!

russ010 said:

Just got off the phone with Tracker Marine. These USCG stickers use to be plates. Now there just foil. At any rate, mine did not stick and it blew off. This is a 2007 Tracker 1754. don't want to change it, just have it. Nope!! Got to call parts and order it and pay for it. Dang glue and cheap stickers!!

Capacity labels are required on boats less than 20 feet in length. These regulations apply to recreational boat manufacturers, not owners or operators. Technically there is no federal requirement for an owner to maintain the label. However, it is often used as reference by law enforcement officers. Since the labels are installed by the manufacturer, replacement of your label is beyond your capability. You might wish to contact the original builder, if possible. In some cases they are able to provide a replacement. Somestates; e.g. Pennsylvania, have systems for issuing state capacity labels. If you can read your label, or know the values it contained, you can fabricate a replacement label. Was also told if I was unsure on load capiblitys to use this method to figure boat weight ratings. lenghtXwidth/15(in inchs). If this is correct that means my safe load rating is 553 lbs, Does that sound right for a 14 foot wiht a 56 inch beam? I seen on the uscg site that if you a caught by a cop/game warden/uscg thay cant fine you for over loading, they can only end your trip. Thats all I have figured out so far.

You are fine in KY.

In 20 years of owning various boats of different sizes and hp's, I have yet to have a capacity sticker checked. My old Polarkraft has never had one that I am aware of.

If your boat is rated for a 20, a 25 should be fine. Depending on the age, that's a tricky thing anyway. Old motors were rated at the crank and new motors are rated at the prop shaft.

Latest posts