What type of screws?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali27

Reaction score
Alright thanks to all of you guys i am almost ready to start my mod. A couple of final questions before i start. What type of screws to screw the floor to the ribs? Is it dangerous to remove the foam under the front seat? Is having my gas take, my 9.9 2 stroke and 2 batteries to much weight in the back of the boat? its a 1436 by the way.The gas tank is 20 litres.

I would move the batteries. My floor is just laid in the boat so I can pull it out when needed. The foam will keep the boat from sinking when swamped. some guys pull some or all of it some guys add more. My boat has what it came with.

not sure if i have seen all your post?

What type floor wood /alum?
the best screw is ss ....Just not sure as what you are doing.
As for the fome if it was not needed then it would not be though.

Just my 2 cents........

Mine doesn't. I have 2x3's between the ribs at the edges so if the floor warps a little it's still ok.

Also, what about screwing plywood over my bench seats than using toggle bolts through both plywood and aluminum to secure my seat pedestals. Do I need to do this? Will it actually strengthen the mounting job? The aluminum is .043 marine alloy.

cali27 said:
Alright thanks to all of you guys i am almost ready to start my mod. A couple of final questions before i start. What type of screws to screw the floor to the ribs? Stailess screws, any other type will cause you an issue down the road with corrosion. Is it dangerous to remove the foam under the front seat? You could remove it but you might think of adding some flotation elsewhere just in case it gets swamped. Is having my gas take, my 9.9 2 stroke and 2 batteries to much weight in the back of the boat? Not in my opinion, on my 1432 I had two batteries, a johnson 9.9, and 6 gallon fuel cell, you just need to stow your gear inbetween the front and middle benches to even it out. its a 1436 by the way.The gas tank is 20 litres.

I use standard stainless steel self tapping screws. I have 1/2 marine plywood in my boat, so i used 1" screws. You might wanna get a 1 1/4" screws being you have 3/4' ply. I dont like the screws that sink into the carpet because you cant remove them as easily later if you need to.

Id move the batteries to the front to balance some of the weight. Sometimes that can do wonders for stability while fishing too, especially if your stepping on and off decks all the time.

Like others have said, use SS 1-1/4 screws, No. 12 work nice and use a 5/32" drill bit to drill your pilot holes. Marine aluminum is harder than you think so using the correct bit helps a lot. If you use the nice dome head phillips head SS screws with stainless trim washers it makes a very nice finish over carpet. The trim washers make any future removal easy. I cut my floor to size, place the floor in the boat and drill my 5/32" holes through the floor and into the ribs. Mark the location of your floor with a pencil . I then remove the floor board , I then use a 3/16" inch bit to enlarge the holes I made in the floor board. I then waterproof my board, cover with carpet, and use a nail or an awl to punch through the carpet to mark my hole so when I screw the floor down it will be easy to find the pre drilled holes. I then use the 1-1/4" SS dome heads and trim washers to screw my floor board down to the ribs.
I have found that using SS for all my boat work is the only way to go. If you have a supplier that sells SS hardware in your area you can save by buying from them. Lowes and such can be higher.

Latest posts