Lowe Big Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbkid

Reaction score
From the moment I joined, I've told myself I wanted to pick up a 1648 jon boat; yet I settled for a 1436 when it fell in my lap at a very good price last summer. All the time I've fished from it, I've continued to look for a 1648.

I've come across a Lowe Big Jon on e-bay and the seller is about an hour drive from me. In the e-bay listing, he provides numerous pictures and gives a good description of the boat. It is 16ft. long, but the bottom width is not stated. From the listing, it sounds like everything I wanted initially.

Here is a link to the listing.

As you can see though, the boat has what appears to be treated lumber running across the floor. The listing states they were just added recently, but I'm hesitant. Does anyone have any comments or things I should look at if I go and take a look at this boat?

I checked the guys feedback, he seems pretty childish, and wouldnt be the kind of seller I would deal with. With the motor not running right I wouldnt give him no more than $1200, unless you got to see it before commiting to purchase and everything checks out ok.

Too risky to "Buy it Now", and that guy would definately leave some negative comments on your ebay account if you backed out after committing. Id request to see the boat in person first.

That's what I was afraid of. If I were going to do it, I would not "Buy it Now" anyways. I would arrange a time to take a look at it and if everything went well, I'd make an offer then. I've emailed the seller, so we'll see if I get a response. If not, I'll continue looking.

It may just be the photo's but that trailer looks like it needs some work.

The bow stop appears to be missing and the hull on the bow end of the boat looks like it is resting on a plank just laying on the trailer.

The motor also appears to have a leaking prop shaft seal and it appears to have been leaking for some time given the appearance on the skeg. That may mean future l/u repairs because of water or ice damage.

The way that they have the motor mounted on the transom looks sort of shifty as well.

If it is only an hour drive then go look at it. if he really wants to sale he will show it to you if not then don't look back.

Beam 6' 3" then it is a 1652 i believe as my 1648 is 70" beam.

There is no doubt the boat and trailer need some work.

The guy replied back to me through email, but did not answer any questions I had. He only told me to come check it out and gave an address. I punched the address into MapQuest and it turns out he really wasn't in Richmond,VA. He is actually 2-1/2 hours away from me, instead of the little over an hour I thought originally.

This changes things drastically, especially considering I was anticipating the trailer being in rough condition. We'll see, but as of now, I'll continue looking. I'd love to find a 1648 or bigger jon for around that price with a motor; yet it may be wishful thinking, there will always be something wrong with it.

OK i drove 2.5 to 3 hr for the alum for my boat .
just take the wife/gf out for breakfast and then say by the way ...

That may be the root of my problem (MAY NOT GOOD IDEA ) :D

Latest posts