Saws

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottomDweller

Reaction score
What kind of saws are you all using for your boat mods/precise cuttings? I am not a handy man but do strive to be one with a saw so that I can build a cool mod with flooring etc. I have a jigsaw and circular saw. Are there any other saws (or tools for that matter) that you really recommend and that I should invest in before I start my boat project?

Along with your jig and circular, a miter saw comes in handy. In skilled hands a circular saw can do pretty much everything a miter can, but for us weekend warriors the miter is much easier. With the correct blade you can also cut aluminum with it. Beyond that a cordless drill or two or three is your best friend. I have a fully stocked wood working shop in my basement so can't remember exactly which tools I used, but you obviously need some basic hand tools as well. You really don't need too much.

My former mod was a 68 Mustan conv. so I do have a few tools, Reciprocing saw is nice with metal blades, got a grinder, with cutting wheel, circular saw, Jigsaw and a small table saw in the basement ( dont think I be using that) one cordless drill, one reg drill, impact wrench.

If your not "real handy" with a skill saw, I would go ahead and pick up a compounding slideing miter saw (decent one will run you $130 at sears or HD). It will allow you to accurately cut angles and they will be very precise. Harbor frieght has one also for about $100 that is OK but wont't stand up to heavy use and the cuts will be a little loose. The one at sears is a GMC brand and is a good tool. It is a good handy thing to have.

Latest posts