Question about rivets...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShanks2U

Reaction score
The middle seat on my boat has separated from the floor due to old, broken rivets. Should I use solid rivets or would blind rivets be okay to rejoin the pieces?

If the seat is seperated from a wood floor,then use blind rivets,if it is metal
to metal you must use solid or they will leak!

I used blind rivets, with a dab of JB weld over them on each side. Probably not the best thing to do, but there is no way I could have put in solid rivets by myself.
I plan on going over them with steelflex anyway.

What about using the sealing blind pop rivets and then shooting some 3M 5200 down into the hole of the rivet head and putting a layer over the top of the rivet? or what about melting solder wire down into the hole in the rivet head? i'll need to use options like these because after looking things over some more, there is no way that i will be able to put solid rivets in by myself.

Johnny5 said:
Industrial supply houses sometimes sell what is a blind rivet but is closed end. check these https://www.mcmaster.com/#closed-end-blind-rivets/=6dg6wz

Go to your local Fastenal. They sell these in a box of 20, 50, or 500. They are called closed end rivets. Make sure you get the "all aluminum" ones. You push the closed end through the seat base to out side the hull. Place you rivet gun on the mandrel (which should be inside the hull) and torque down 2-3 time until it breaks. You will need a rivet that has a "grip" range that is just over twice you hull thickness and approximate 3/8 in diameter. Then I would use your 3M sealant for extra precaution.

Latest posts