Carpets and dampness.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Reaction score
Close to Lake George, NY , Saratoga Lake.
Looking at all the great mods here, starting my own etc. I am just wondering about humidity, carpets get wet, soiled etc, gets wet underneath the floor boards, I mean, how is it suppose to dry out? the sun? you guys lift the floors on sunny days to dry the rigs out? is every boat stored in a garage? I dont think so. Just looking for info, thanks

My boat is stored in a leaky garage. When it was stored outside I kept a cover on it that kept water out for the most part.

That is the MAIN reason why you should water seal your boards.

I keep mine outside covered with a tarp.. but fish in the rain alot. When I get home, I still put the tarp on and leave it.. it's always dried out by the next weekend.

I don't like carpet for that reason. I like a non skid finish. But those that do have carpet usually use a tarp of some sort. However the tarp has to be able to "breath", meaning that it has to allow the water in the boat a place to get out or it will just condense on the tarp and fall back in the boat and do it again. If if does this it will keep the wood wet and will allow mold to grow.

just an idea but i made my dash board in my mod out of azack its a pvc board it dont rott

Attachments

• Picture 206.jpg
    Picture 206.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 398
I coated mine in Durabak. It is great, easy to clean, non skid and not more expensive than carpet.

Bufford in Orlando

Herculiner here, non-slip and easy to clean. My boat is trailered over miles of dirt roads, so easy cleaning was the primary concern.