Transom drain hole?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMoose

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their transom drain hole, and if so, what did you use?
I found this on another site, but I'm not sure I want to get a screw driver out everytime I need to drain the boat.
MOE-20303-10.jpg

WhiteMoose said:
Has anyone replaced their transom drain hole, and if so, what did you use?
I found this on another site, but I'm not sure I want to get a screw driver out everytime I need to drain the boat.
MOE-20303-10.jpg

My boat doesnt even have a drain hole. I have to use the bilge every time....boooooooooo

Thanks guys, I will see about getting an aluminum one and having it welded in. I just don't trust the plastic ones.

If I have a bilge pump, theoretically there is no need for a drain unless there is an emergency and the bilge quits working for some reason, correct?
The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to wash the gravel, sand, etc. out of the back once in a while. Can bilge pumps remove small debris like that?

you don't want any trash really going through the bilge pump. It will take some stuff, but if you ever look inside a bilge, it's nothing but a plastic fan... if that gets clogged up you will have to clean it out periodically because it will pull more amp (meaning more battery draw) because it's having to work harder to push the water out - that's half the reason bilge pumps burn out and don't last as long, people never clean them out

WhiteMoose said:
Thanks guys, I will see about getting an aluminum one and having it welded in. I just don't trust the plastic ones.

If I have a bilge pump, theoretically there is no need for a drain unless there is an emergency and the bilge quits working for some reason, correct?
The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to wash the gravel, sand, etc. out of the back once in a while. Can bilge pumps remove small debris like that?

Still need a drain - a bilge will not get the boat dry and what happens when it rains and the temp drops below 32?

You can also use the outlet darins used to purge a live well. They seal well inside and out and they are big enough to put a typical plug into.