Repainting outboard motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangelcc

Reaction score
Any ideas on what type of paint to use on motor. I have it sanded down, the cowl is fiberglass,and main body aluminum. I was thinking that I would have to use self etching primer first. Would I have to use a primer on the fiberglass cowl before painting? Valspar or rustoleum paint?? Just want it to be of a good quality. Also would yall put any clear coat over finished paint? Thanks for any ideas. I have a 1988 25 hp suzuki. Would also like to order a new sticket kit for it. Just trying to clean up my motor.

Attachments

• new21 011.JPG
    new21 011.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 835
You aproach the motor like a car, sand, clean, prime ( no self etch needed) get all of it at the auto part store, then pick a paint, heat the can ( see my post on Can spray paint) spray light coats, like 4 or five of them, once dry go over with top coat clear ( same brand as paint) small cans are enough for your motor. If you want a real pro look, once painted you get a sort of orange peel effect, you can wet sand it with real fine grit, get it looking like glass... then top coat. for best effect, coats need to be almost transparent, just add other coats every 20 minutes, then let dry completely before top coat.

Froggy said:
You aproach the motor like a car, sand, clean, prime ( no self etch needed) get all of it at the auto part store, then pick a paint, heat the can ( see my post on Can spray paint) spray light coats, like 4 or five of them, once dry go over with top coat clear ( same brand as paint) small cans are enough for your motor. If you want a real pro look, once painted you get a sort of orange peel effect, you can wet sand it with real fine grit, get it looking like glass... then top coat. for best effect, coats need to be almost transparent, just add other coats every 20 minutes, then let dry completely before top coat.
If you want paint to stick to aluminum and last you need to use self etching primer. You do not need it on the fiberglass.