Should I mod this??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejfromnj

Reaction score
Hi all. Great site.

Picked up this used 2002 12' crestliner 1231 jon boat. Good condition but feels very small and is not too sturdy at all. My research tells me I should wait to mod something a little bigger. I did see some amazing 12' mods but I noticed they were all 1236s and higher. Does the 36 mean 36" wide? I guess that would mean mine is only 31" wide..? Also I noticed a 300lb capacity?! 2 people + gear = 500lbs, no??

If not decking then should I at least put some carpet and seats or is it not worth doing anything to?

Any advice is much appreciated.

EJ from NJ

Attachments

• DSC00086.JPG
    DSC00086.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 443
X2 with what Jim said.

That looks like a good little fishin rig tho.

You might add a floor that mounts onto the ribs or a portable live well in a cooler. I woudn't bother with any type of deck. You will run out of room fast in a 12 footer. I mod'd a 1432 that turned out well, but not much room in there.

Welcome, I owned two 31's and never stood up in them.... I did once! Anyhow, check out my current mod, its a 12, 37inch wide, even with 37, my main deck (back) is only a couple of inches high, safe. in the front I got 5 inches, when its calm out there, not too many large boats around, I'll go there, actullly pretty sturdy up front. I be you I would fix it nice, repaint it, put some floors in, low seats, use it, then sell and move up to 14, or wider.

I agree with the other guys. Just add a seat or two and fish. Save money and shoot for a 1436 or bigger in the future. Good looking rig though. congrats :D

I wouldnt deck it but you can still do some mods to the little tins. put'cha some seats, the center bench makes for a great storage and still be able to use it to sit

awesome thank you all. after the summer ill just refinish it, add seats and use it to learn the basics (my first boat)

i definitely plan on documenting everything for the site. I noticed my neighbor next door has a really old aluminum vhull. im going to refinish it for him when i do mine. so i look forward to sharing both on tinboats

These types of boats are the best learning tools if you ask me (especially if its a trailered boat).

Either way, you get a great understanding for how boats perform in the water, and how you can react to the weather/chop before moving to bigger waters.