Another Transom Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottomDweller

Reaction score
I can post pics later but just wanted to get someone's recommendation on how to get some rounded off bolts off of the transom so I can replace the wood. I wanted to work on this, this weekend but when going to unscrew the wood from my 1960's V hull, the bolts were completely rounded off. How am I going to get these bolts out?

A couple of the bolts still look as if they would be OK to unscrew but as soon as I touch a screwdriver to them and attempt to turn, the bolts round very easily...Must be the break- down of the old bolts.

You can't loosen bolts with a screwdriver. :?:

Do you have bolts or screws? For old bolts, you can use a good pair of vice grip pliars to clamp onto the rounded bolt head or nut.

Sorry about that Quackrstackr...They are screws with round heads that fit flush against the outside of the transom. I would not be able to grip them with pliars b/c of them fitting flush.

Flush against the outside as in they are somehow countersunk into the transom metal?

Are there nuts on the inside of your transom wood or are they just some sort of wood screw that is run through from the outside?

You may have to take a chisel and cut plugs of the wood out around the screws so that you can back them out from the inside. You can re-mark your hole locations using the transom metal as a template once you get the new wood cut out.

Latest posts