16' Lund type semi-v vs. 16'-18' mod-v

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

authentic

Reaction score
Simple question: Which do you think is most versatile? (big water and small water, bass fishing and cat or walleye fishing)

Background to the question below:

I'm somewhat new to boat fishing, so everything I do has been an upgrade from how I learned to fish. I started out last spring w/a little 10' 2man bass boat, and figured out real quick that it didn't have enough space. After about 5 times out, I decided to upgrade to a 1432 Smokercraft jon boat. This year, I've decided I'm ready to be more versatile in my fishing, so I started looking for something that would be better on a little bit bigger lakes, as well as all the smaller, shallow lakes that I do my bass and pike fishing on. BTW, I've made a little money on each of the little boats, so it's not like my constant need to upgrade has hurt me, yet.

I want to bass and pike fish 3 guys fairly comfortably, and catfish or walleye fish 4 guys on occasion. I want to be alright on both large and small lakes. Basically, I want the most versatile tinny I can get.

Thought I wanted a big mod-v, but I came across a 16' Lund semi-v for an unbeatable price. I snatched it up and am in the process of rebuilding it for fishing this year(cross my fingers). It'll have a front casting deck w/a low floor for about 6' behind that, back to the back seat. It'll be finished w/a cleaned up 25hp Johnson and 74lb MinnKota Maxxum along w/some basic electronics for under $1500.

Based on what similar stuff is selling for around here, I believe I could sell it for close to $3000. Now, I'm not sure if I'd be better off keeping it, or selling and getting a mod-v. I've bass fished from an 1872 and absolutely loved it. I've looked at some 16' ones and they just felt small, compared to the Lund and obviously the 1872. I guess I'll have to decide, after having the Lund out for while this summer on both types of lakes, but I was just curious what you guys' thoughts were.

I would prefer a semi-v over a mod v... I think the semi-v gives more space upfront on the deck than a mod-v which generally has a tapered bow.

Get out and fish it like you want to, and don't mod anything yet. Fish it a few times to get a good idea of how you need it setup as opposed to what you think you want as far as setup. I changed my mind 10 times before I finally figured out how mine would actually work

Latest posts