Newbe's v-hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilsbarrow2

Reaction score
newbe here...just found this amazing site and I have a few questions. I presently have a 12 ft v-hull that I run around the little lakes in northen Arizona. I use a 2 horse Honda 4-stroke and an electric trolling motor. Note: the Tribal lakes in Arizona do not allow gas engines. I am looking at replacing my present rig so my main question is...v-hull or flat bottom. Second question...when making modifications, how are the frames mounted without causing leeks. My Bride hates leeks.

Welcome Bilsbarrow, To your questions v hull or flat bottom, I have both. The v hull is a little bigger and handles big water better, the flat bottom well I have had it in big water but dont like it, kinda scary in my opinion, Flat bottom are better I think if your fishing shallow waters. Since they don't take nearley as much depth to float in as a v hull, Your guess is as good as mine. I guess it is a matter of personal choice. And to the frames in the boat, I dont drill any holes throung the boat that are below or even close to the water line on the boat. Also there is a paint called Steelflex for the outside of the boat that does a awesome job on sealing up small leaks or loose rivets and such. Hope this helps. Post a pic of your boat.

Welcome, I'm a new-be to tinboats too. :D Good to see another westerner, I'm in southern Utah so it sounds like we're not too far apart. To answer your question, I prefer v's just because they seem to handle the waters i fish better. I usually fish a little bit deeper water and often times run into the wind in the afternoons. TAke it for what it's worth. I think it just depends on your personal taste.

Latest posts